Chicken Ordinance, UGH!

eksulli

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
So I just got off the phone with the lady at the borough. You're allowed to have them here, normal stuff, they cannot be allowed to run at large, the coop must be cleaned daily, feed must be kept in air tight/fly tight container. Here's the kicker. They must be 25 feet from property lines.
WHAT? That leaves me maybe, 5 feet in the absolute center of my yard to build a coop, so they really just made it impossible. I was very excited, too bad.

No we live in the sticks, where the elementary school STILL hatches out chicks every year, the average class size is about 20 and you know EVERYONE by name.
It's probably one of those things where if I had just done it, it wouldn't have been a problem, but since I called to cover my bases now I can't.. lol. Makes me so stinking angry! Especially since I have lived here for about 5 years and the house to my left is falling down and has been abandoned the whole time, probably going on more like 10 or 15 years, but is NOT up for sale and is NOT going up for sale, but I have to keep my chickens 25 feet from his property line?

This is roughly what I was thinking, this is the abandoned garage next door, and my big white garage/back yard.
I was thinking about moving the quail coop down beside the garage and further away from the chickens anyway... due to disease. BUT in order to get the chickens far enough away from this property they would have to be about 2 feet PAST my garage. seriously?

Do you think if I called the owner of the house next door and got his permission, I could still have my coops here?
I know the owner, he's one of my oldest friends uncles.
Any thoughts?
Get it in writing?

If you got written permission, perhaps you could petition the zoning folks for a variance. When we lived in Ohio and wanted to put an addition on our garage, we had to apply for a zoning variance. We took all our plans to the zoning commission and they made copies, then addressed our case at their next meeting.

It is worth a try.....

Good luck.

I think I found a spot in my yard for the coop, that stays within the ordinance. I could comfortably build a coop that is about 10' long and 8' wide.
That seems acceptable!

I think I found a spot in my yard for the coop, that stays within the ordinance. I could comfortably build a coop that is about 10' long and 8' wide.
That seems acceptable!

wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

How's the coop coming? Did you end up talking with your neighbor/getting written permission?

Back
Top Bottom