Chicken out law

For larger cattle in Michigan I believe you still have to have a required amount of land. (I don't know what it is exactly though)

But I don't think that is true for chickens.

Here is the definition of "farm":

(a) “Farm” means the land, plants, animals, buildings, structures, including ponds used for agricultural or aquacultural activities, machinery, equipment, and other appurtenances used in the commercial production of farm products.

I can't see a definition that includes zoning as a requirement to be a farm.

It also states:

(6) Beginning June 1, 2000, except as otherwise provided in this section, it is the express legislative intent that this act preempt any local ordinance, regulation, or resolution that purports to extend or revise in any manner the provisions of this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a local unit of government shall not enact, maintain, or enforce an ordinance, regulation, or resolution that conflicts in any manner with this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act.

If that is the case then why did Ann Arbor have to change laws to allow chickens, why did the city here tell me I had to get rid of mine, etc etc.
It is so confusing.

And I just found this:

MICHIGAN RIGHT TO FARM ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 93 of 1981

286.473 Farm or farm operation as public or private nuisance; review and revision of practices; finding; conditions.

Sec. 3.

(1) A farm or farm operation shall not be found to be a public or private nuisance if the farm or farm operation alleged to be a nuisance conforms to generally accepted agricultural and management practices according to policy determined by the Michigan commission of agriculture. Generally accepted agricultural and management practices shall be reviewed annually by the Michigan commission of agriculture and revised as considered necessary.

(2) A farm or farm operation shall not be found to be a public or private nuisance if the farm or farm operation existed before a change in the land use or occupancy of land within 1 mile of the boundaries of the farm land, and if before that change in land use or occupancy of land, the farm or farm operation would not have been a nuisance.

(3) A farm or farm operation that is in conformance with subsection (1) shall not be found to be a public or private nuisance as a result of any of the following:

(a) A change in ownership or size.

(b) Temporary cessation or interruption of farming.

(c) Enrollment in governmental programs.

(d) Adoption of new technology.

(e) A change in type of farm product being produced.

Perhaps I am reading it wrong- but doesnt that mean that it cannot be considered a nuisance if you were farming there first? So, those of us that were not farming before we were considered a subdivision, would not be allowed to use this 'right to farm'?​

Last edited:
Quote:
If that is the case then why did Ann Arbor have to change laws to allow chickens, why did the city here tell me I had to get rid of mine, etc etc.
It is so confusing.

I really think it's a matter of people being able to afford a lawyer to enforce rights. We have an alpaca farm here. No ag zoning, it's across from houses. People fought and fought, and the guy had enough $$$ to "flip off" the township with the right to farm act.

My boss lives there- and she has two llamas, and a potbelly pig. She has had the pig for years and years. She just moved from one house on the island to another. (the llamas came with the new house). Someone left a list of 'acceptable' animals to own- in her mailbox, and highlighted where pigs were not allowed.

My boss went to the pound guy- and told him she had lived on the island forever, and that the pig is 11 years old. He isnt really worried about her having her.

Quote:
Right to farm doesn't cover pets. I think that may be part of it.

Code here lets you keep almost anything. The animal CO is a woman, and very cool.

My chickens are illegal as far as i know because we aren't on 3 acres of land. We have 1 acre and free range them. We ask the neighbors politely to come and talk to us if there is ANY issues with the chickens so we don't get into any trouble. The sherriff has seen the chickens in the yard many many times and has never said a word. I keep them clean and thier coop and run as well. In 1990 before this house was built the owner of all the land around here sold it in 1 acre lots, it used to be farm land so maybe that grandfathers me in. Several people around here have them as well which was the reason we got into this hobby.

Quote:
Right to farm doesn't cover pets. I think that may be part of it.

Code here lets you keep almost anything. The animal CO is a woman, and very cool.

Well, I guess my boss wasnt very gender specific when she was talking to me about it- or I didnt pay close enough attention.
smile.png

I wish Taylor didnt have it all in writing so tightly. They have all the basics covered- even list quail as illegal.
sad.png

I'm glad/sad to be in the company of other illegal chickeners. I had to give my chickens away before when the animal control nazis objected to my rooster. So a year later I ordered six little peeps--payed extra to have hens. Wuddencha know one of em is a he and now I have to find a home for a beautiful Dominques rooster. The dogs on both sides bark incessantly all day/night, but let Phyllis/Phil give a couple of barks (and he isn't loud)--way after the dogs have started up in the morning--and I'm in a position to lose all my babies.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Imagine a legacy farmer, farming for generations, on a nice piece of land, and then some developer builds million dollar homes on the acreage next to his/her farm. According to this wording, the developer can't get rid of the farmer, because the farmer was there first. Pre-emptive rights.

However, I'm sure you would have to establish yourself as a legal farm by registering with the appropriate agencies for this to protect you.

Back
Top Bottom