Chicken panting after raccoon attack.

Rainwing

Songster
Mar 16, 2017
New England
About 50 minutes ago I heard one of my hens scream outside so I went outside and found her laying down. I picked her up and she has no visible wounds.

I put her in the house but she looks around often and pants heavily for about 10 seconds - then closes her mouth for a few - and repeats it.

I don't know whether to put this in chicken behaviors or this subforum.

She is eating and she does walk around but only for a few steps, then pauses, and takes a few more steps.

Does panting indicate internal damage? It's about 70 degrees fahrenheit in the house and they only pant when its about 90 degrees outside

I think she is panicked and probably in shock. It would be best if you put the chickens in the coop and run, in case the raccoon comes back. She may do best in a dim dog crate with food and water available, so she can rest. I have had several chickens attacked by dogs in the years past. The ones with the worst wounds made it okay, but the one with the least injuries on the outside, died within an hour. Internal injuries can be possible, but if she has been walking, that is a good sign. I would get a raccoon trap and learn how to use it. Securing a tuna or cat food cancontaining a small amount of peanut butter, tuna, or snickers bars are good baits that have worked for me. If you don't tie it down, they are smart enough to get the treat without stepping on the trap mechanism. This time of year mothers have babies they need to feed. One spring we caught 10 of varying ages within a 2 week period. Make sure they are in a secure coop and run with 1/2 inch chicken wire from dusk to mid morning.

Last edited:
Thank you! We have a live trap that im definitely going to set up later today at dusk. I had her in the house until 8 AM, then I put her back in the run. She seems fine but I'll keep a close eye on her. Also thanks for the tip on tying down the trap, I think it'll bring up the success rate of catching them because i never could catch one, i either caught a woodchuck or nothing at all.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Panting indicates stress too me. Most dogs and cats do it when you take them to the vet, even if they aren't hot or injured. Probably still shock. I agree she sounds like she might be OK once she settles down.

Hope she recovers quickly.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom