Chicken parasite? Worm type thing? HELP!

nayeli

Songster
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Alright, so I'm newer to chickens. I started with chicks and they still aren't laying yet. We recently cleaned out their tractor and removed the duck, which has helped keep it cleaner (removing the duck I mean). I was letting them out this morning and pet one then noticed a bunch of tiny worm like things crawling on my hand. They were small and dark and definately moving! What are they, are they harmful? How do I get rid of them?

They aren't maggots. I have tried looking it up and haven't found anything yet. I treated them with Seven dust and put more sand in their coops for them to "bathe" themselves. I also added ACV to their water so if it is a parasite it will help them! Tomorrow they are getting vitamins too...

"A bunch of tiny wormlike things crawling on your hand" They are some type of larva from an insect. They arnt internal worms. Worms cannot survive outside the host.

How small are they? If they're super-duper-itty-bittie-teenie-tiny, I'd assume mites or lice... Definitely dust them in either Diatomaceous Earth, plain 'ol firepit ash, or a commercial insecticide powder; I use DE constantly for poultry mite management as well as any worm any of my critters can get. I even killed flea infestations on some rescue rabbits with the stuff, it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom