Chicken passed two eggs

Australorp Fan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Yesterday my year old Australorp was on the nest and I saw some clear & yellow/white fluid leaking from her vent. She let me clean her bottom but she did not lay an egg and seemed in pain. After some advise from fellow chicken owners I moved her to a dark room with water only. She stayed in this room overnight and this morning I found her walking around and talking. She had passed one egg that was just the shell. It held it's oval shape but was flat. The next egg was clean but picking it up it felt like a water balloon. I am guessing the first egg collasped inside her and the second egg pushed it out. Anyone have any experience similar to this or idea what causes this and /or how can I prevent it from happening in the future. Thanks for reading and any advise.

Was the flat one thin shelled? Sometimes a hen needs an extra boost of broccoli, collards or kale to help them absorb more calcium from their food or oyster shell.

If you don't have oyster shells in with your hens you might consider putting some of that in with them too. My hens don't eat it all the time but do whenever they want to.
love.gif
: Angelique

The flat shell seemed a bit thin. I do provide crushed oyster shell for the girls at all times and they have a large orchard to free range in but it is the first time they have used that pasture. Its in an apple orchard so there's all kinds of different vegetation.
I was worried that maybe they were getting fat and that caused the problem.
I have twelve year old hens. I have them on Purena all natural Layena crumbles which they like a lot more than pellets. They where getting half a cup of scratch in the morning and sometimes a few slices of stale (not moldy) whole wheat bread. But mostly the eat from the field.

Back
Top Bottom