Chicken pecking away flesh at tail end, how can I make her stop?

angela27

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Laidley
I have a chicken that has been pecking away the flesh on her tail end. I took her in a few months ago, along with another chicken she was living with, that would constantly peck at her. She was in poor condition at the time. I kept her seperate for a while but when I put her out with my other chickens, her friend, began pecking her again, making her bleed, and now she’s started it herself. I have her seperate again. I’ve been trying to keep the area clean by tipping warm salty water over it. She is otherwise happy and energetic, eating quite fine and all. How can I stop this behaviour and what’s the best way to treat the damage she’s causing?

You can put pinless peepers on both hens.
As far as the hen pecking herself, try putting Vick's Vapor Rub around the area of the wound. It should deter her from picking herself. For the wound, put betadine on it and pat dry. Then apply an antibiotic ointment once or twice a day until healed.
You can purchase pinless peepers on Ebay.

You can put pinless peepers on both hens.
As far as the hen pecking herself, try putting Vick's Vapor Rub around the area of the wound. It should deter her from picking herself. For the wound, put betadine on it and pat dry. Then apply an antibiotic ointment once or twice a day until healed.
You can purchase pinless peepers on Ebay.

Thanks for your help =) I’ve never heard of pinless peepers...how do they go on??

upload_2018-4-6_6-18-57.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom