Chicken Pecking Order that has gotten out of hand...

This sounds exactly how "Bossy" treated my EE's before she transformed herself into the "Sweetie" that she is now.

That's wonderful!!! I'm glad things are going so well!

The pecking order changes; a new bird will fit in wherever she ranks in boldness. She'll start lower, of course, out of confusion and "overwhelming odds," but she'll work her way up based on her level of assertiveness (or aggressiveness) vs. theirs, most likely.

But it sounds like you won't have to worry about that. Congrats to all!

I had trouble with a new flock of young Isa Pullets that I bought in 2013. They were wretched. After what I have gone thru with them, I would never keep a mean one in with my good hens. I still have 3 of those wretched hens, but, they are separate from the new flock I bought in 2014. That is the only bunch I've run into that are like that and I hope I never run into any like that again. I don't hesitate to say get rid of her. The 3 I have are STILL nasty to other chickens.

I had trouble with a new flock of young Isa Pullets that I bought in 2013. They were wretched. After what I have gone thru with them, I would never keep a mean one in with my good hens. I still have 3 of those wretched hens, but, they are separate from the new flock I bought in 2014. That is the only bunch I've run into that are like that and I hope I never run into any like that again. I don't hesitate to say get rid of her. The 3 I have are STILL nasty to other chickens.
So sorry to hear that. You may want to try separating one at a time from the flock entirely, as I did, for a period of a two weeks, if you can (read previous entries on this thread) to see if they can't acquire an attitude adjustment.

I followed the directions from some of the very knowledgable people here and darned if it didn't work for my Bossy...now Sweetie. The transformation is amazing.

Good luck with your girls.

I did that, thinking their place in the pecking order would be lost. Didn't matter. Any hen that I had out went back with the same attitude they had when I took them out, even after a few weeks time out.. Would take 10 min for them to be back on top again. Did this to the most aggressive ones first. Never saw such chickens. As I said, I have 3 left, it's 2 years later and they still have the same temperaments. One lives by herself and is happy and two get along, for some reason and they live together. I will say, they were always nice to me! That's what saved these 3's necks.

I did that, thinking their place in the pecking order would be lost. Didn't matter. Any hen that I had out went back with the same attitude they had when I took them out, even after a few weeks time out.. Would take 10 min for them to be back on top again. Did this to the most aggressive ones first. Never saw such chickens. As I said, I have 3 left, it's 2 years later and they still have the same temperaments. One lives by herself and is happy and two get along, for some reason and they live together. I will say, they were always nice to me! That's what saved these 3's necks.

Oh! I am glad you had a turn around with your bossie girl. I know that made you happy.

Thanks....she is the sweetest little (not bossy) girl in the group now! Verbal, but now obnoxious, so her spirit is still there too! :)

Back
Top Bottom