Chicken pecking :(

So! I have recently got 4 ex-battery hens. They are making ok progress with regrowing feathers, however, one poor chick is being pecked on the back, her tails and her wings. Many feathers and new growing feathers have been pecked off. When I see the other hens pecking her it doesn’t seem particularly malicious.... The run is large and spacious with a 30m perimeter. The coop isn’t massive but I never see the hens pecking each other in there. There is ample food and drink, I bring them treats and give them mixed grit with oyster shells for calcium ect. Can anyone suggest ways to stop or prevent pecking and help them regrow feathers?! Thanks so much :D
We are working on a roost, maybe that will help...
Pics of your coop and run would be helpful here.

Does feed have a tag listing the percentages of protein and calcium.
It's required in the USA.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2386715
I will get back to you on the feed ASAP... I live in the UK so temperate and often raining. It is
Autumn as I'm sure you know :D I will also get some images for you.

You can get those little jackets or apron at the feed store to protect your chicken or just let her out for awhile first definitely protect her though ❤🐔

Pics of your coop and run would be helpful here.

Does feed have a tag listing the percentages of protein and calcium.
It's required in the USA.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2386715
Heya! The food has nothing on it in terms of protein or anything else really. I live in the UK so a temperate somewhat rainy climate. Here are some images: sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• IMG-0299.JPG
    IMG-0299.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-0281.JPG
    IMG-0281.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-0294.JPG
    IMG-0294.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0295.JPG
    IMG-0295.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-0296.JPG
    IMG-0296.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0298.JPG
    IMG-0298.JPG
    623.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0292.JPG
    IMG-0292.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-0288.JPG
    IMG-0288.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-0290.JPG
    IMG-0290.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-0285.JPG
    IMG-0285.JPG
    587.9 KB · Views: 32
Google the brand of feed your using on your birds to get nutritional information. But if it's a layer feed it's usually 16% protein. Or give us the brand on this post and we will look it up.

Google the brand of feed your using on your birds to get nutritional information. But if it's a layer feed it's usually 16% protein. Or give us the brand on this post and we will look it up.
I have looked it up, unfortunately it is a small milking company locally supplying a farm store. I have gone and asked on the website for the percent of protein however.

Next time you buy feed look for ones that has nutritional tags on the bag and also make sure the mill date is very current. Some places do sell old moldy feed so just keep that in mind.

Next time you buy feed look for ones that has nutritional tags on the bag and also make sure the mill date is very current. Some places do sell old moldy feed so just keep that in mind.
Yeah. The feed looks fine and it seems to be a relatively big company, has a wide product range... For some reason it doesn't seem to be so regulated here (UK), plus the other bags are very expensive!

Back
Top Bottom