Chicken pecking :(

Another thing. If the switching of feed or anything else suggested doesn't work too well, should I separate her off so she is in the other half of the run? I know all chicks are different but our neighbours got 4 ex-bats (2 died) so they got another one and she was introduced in fine? Of course, the chooks would still be able to see each other but not interact and peck! Will the affected chook get lonely if I do that? Or is this only for drastic action?

x2 on the clutter inside the run, helps keep birds busy and provides hiding spots. Piles of green materials - dried leaves, pulled weeds - also will provide some entertainment so they can focus on something other than pulling feathers.

I'd also see about switching to an unmedicated (feed without amprolium) chick starter or grower feed, as those should have higher protein %. Aim for 18-20% protein. You already are providing calcium via oyster shell so layer isn't necessary, though since you already have the feed you can also consider feeding a mix of half layer, half 20% protein feed (that'll balance out to 18%).
Sorry, another question! Are there any weeds that I should avoid, toxic to the chickens? Or are most garden weeds OK? Am also pleased to say I now have le beautiful large water container upturned and filled with hay for the gals. Begin the clutter!

Last edited:
Another thing. If the switching of feed or anything else suggested doesn't work too well, should I separate her off so she is in the other half of the run? I know all chicks are different but our neighbours got 4 ex-bats (2 died) so they got another one and she was introduced in fine? Of course, the chooks would still be able to see each other but not interact and peck! Will the affected chook get lonely if I do that? Or is this only for drastic action?

You could try separating her out for a week (in eyesight of the others as you noted) and then letting her back in, and see if that calms her down. It's worth a shot. Hard to say what will work as each case is different and the reasons for picking can vary, which is why I suggested trying clutter, trying more protein, etc.

Sorry, another question! Are there any weeds that I should avoid, toxic to the chickens? Or are most garden weeds OK? Am also pleased to say I now have le beautiful large water container upturned and filled with hay for the gals. Begin the clutter!

If you have something that you know is commonly toxic to animals (a few examples: holly, mistletoe, ivy, morning glory) I wouldn't throw that in. Most stuff should be safe enough especially if you give them a variety, as they aren't likely to choose to eat something that tastes off to them if there's something much tastier available.

I honestly don't throw in weeds that often but edible veggie garden trimmings, dried leaves such as (which I'm absolutely up to my neck in right now), dried grass (lawn is not fertilized) are all things I toss in that they can dig around in, and eventually become part of the run litter.

You could try separating her out for a week (in eyesight of the others as you noted) and then letting her back in, and see if that calms her down. It's worth a shot. Hard to say what will work as each case is different and the reasons for picking can vary, which is why I suggested trying clutter, trying more protein, etc.

If you have something that you know is commonly toxic to animals (a few examples: holly, mistletoe, ivy, morning glory) I wouldn't throw that in. Most stuff should be safe enough especially if you give them a variety, as they aren't likely to choose to eat something that tastes off to them if there's something much tastier available.

I honestly don't throw in weeds that often but edible veggie garden trimmings, dried leaves such as (which I'm absolutely up to my neck in right now), dried grass (lawn is not fertilized) are all things I toss in that they can dig around in, and eventually become part of the run litter.
Sounds good! I think I am going to get some 'chicken spice' which is a mix of nutrients (including proteins) for the chooks. Our neighbors have used it for their ex-bats and they have very healthy looking combs and wattles now. I am also putting in a black water box, about 4 by 2 by 2 feet, for clutter! They have already pulled out the straw so I need a base on it and a pallet over it. But the cluttering is going well! I have a lot of leaves and I see them eating some small green ones from time to tie, same with some grass I throw in. Thanks for your help! I will test this out and see how it goes, if not I will separate the chooks :D

I have found that there is mainly one bully hen: Dotty.... she is eating the feathers, I have also noticed that if she finds a feather in the run she eats it... I'm going to try to use an anti pecking spray as I can't think of a way to seperate them... I can do the food ect but I have no idea where she would lay. Any ideas? Getting a bit desperate, she was pecking the absoloute crap out of betty because she was using the dust bathing space she wanted to be using.

I'm going to try to use an anti pecking spray as I can't think of a way to seperate them... I can do the food ect but I have no idea where she would lay. Any ideas?

She would simply lay on the ground/floor of the cage. Not a problem for a short stay, especially for ex-battery hens which are likely used to laying where they stand.

She would simply lay on the ground/floor of the cage. Not a problem for a short stay, especially for ex-battery hens which are likely used to laying where they stand.
The issue is it do be muddy and I don't want her to get into a habit of laying in the mud.... but i could set up a dog cage 4 that... Am going to try to use peeepers (sry for bad grammar... typing this with perspex contacts in my eye.... not nice)

Sorry...
Yeah... if the peepers don't work (fingers crossed they will) then I think I'll seperate her off.... the pecking doesnt seem to appenat nighe
one mor questions , not to do with pecking, was thinking of making a box with chicken wire over it and grass growing up through it so they could only eat so much ect or another grain.. would this chicken wire hurt their feet?

Back
Top Bottom