Pecking issues

ellchr3

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2023
South Carolina
Hi again all. I'm having some pecking issues, again. I had issues in January, had it mostly sorted out, and everyone was on the mend. Went on vacation this past week (my neighbor cared for them and collected eggs) and the feather pecking has exploded. I'm at a loss on what to do at this point. Here's the details:
1. My flock is 15 hens and 2 roosters
2. My coop is 4x8x5 (WxLxH)
3. My run was expanded from 128 sq ft to approximately 420 sq ft in March (see image for design).
4. I'm sure this is a topic for discussion, but i still feed my hens chick starter that's 20-22% protein. Oyster shell and grit are available free choice and treats are fairly minimal with something small every couple of days such as some leafy greens, strawberries, meal worms, etc

In January I used vetricyn, pinless peepers, and separated one hen who was bleeding and an obvious bully. Unfortunately, I lost the victim hen a week after reintroducing her to what appeared to be a sudden death because there were no other signs of health issues or injuries.

Fast forward to now... I thought all was going well and now I have MANY hens with bald spots on their neck and some are half bare on their back. There's no blood being drawn at this point. I go to the coop/run typically a couple of times a day and often hang out to just observe for issues and have not caught any bullies this go round. There are few feathers around in the run so I'm assuming they're eating them and I have seen them eat them from the ground here and there. From what I've read on here and other sites feather eating can mean a protein deficiency, but at 20-22% I wouldn't think that'd be much of an issue.

At this point I'll stop rambling and look forward to any questions or feedback to help with this situation.

Attachments

• IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9009.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9011.jpg
    IMG_9011.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9012.jpg
    IMG_9012.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9013.jpg
    IMG_9013.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9014.jpg
    IMG_9014.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
  • coop_run.png
    coop_run.png
    29 KB · Views: 8
Can we see photos of the actual coop and run? Size of the facilities is only one consideration.

Since you mentioned vacation and that they were being cared for by a neighbor for a week, did they follow a set schedule that the birds were used to, or did anything change (i.e. birds normally get let out at daybreak, during vacation they were being let out several hours later).

Can we see photos of the actual coop and run? Size of the facilities is only one consideration.

Since you mentioned vacation and that they were being cared for by a neighbor for a week, did they follow a set schedule that the birds were used to, or did anything change (i.e. birds normally get let out at daybreak, during vacation they were being let out several hours later).
I'll have to get decent pictures tomorrow. My neighbor did collect eggs and such at a different time than I typically do, but the coop door is an automatic door that opens and closes at the same time each day so there wasn't any change on their access outside the coop.

Ive been dealing with the same problem. I thought we had pinpointed the culprit and removed her (I saw her do it many times). For a while the hen who got the brunt of it started growing her feathers back, but now someone else is doing it to her! And my second original suspect is now also missing feathers. Also high protein diet, plenty of space in coop and run, so I can't figure it out.

Here are some pictures during the building process and a screenshot of the inside of the coop as of right now. I hope this gives a good idea. The coop is 4x8. There are 4 roosting bars that span the 4ft width (one is out of view of the camera) and 4 nesting boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_9015.PNG
    IMG_9015.PNG
    896.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9016.PNG
    IMG_9016.PNG
    852.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9017.PNG
    IMG_9017.PNG
    670.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9018.PNG
    IMG_9018.PNG
    252.2 KB · Views: 6
Nice size run! Coop is likely just fine bc they always get let out. The only thing I see is that they might go under coop (small space) to avoid rain or lots of wind. So, if that’s something you notice, maybe make a few other dry spots. Also, when we had bullying, etc. we increased protein in feed (you have already don’t this), and the 20% feed helps. Don’t dilute it with a bunch of treats though. Always have at least 2 locations for feed and water -a bully can cause a lot of problems if only one location for water and food. If you provide additive water (electrolytes, ACV) then put two plain water locations too bc should always offer plain water 24/7 so they can choose. Another thing we did the year the bullying was terrible (even with the better feed), was to install extra roosts outside. They can get away from each other better this way. We installed the metal 2x4 deck supports (that surround 3 sides, upper part is open) and placed 2x4 in these -we can easily remove them since the roost is just placed into the supports, not attached.

You can also think about a couple if “blinds”. Find a cute/fun sign, pallet decoration, and prop against (or attach it so it can’t be knocked over) a support. Never in a corner, so there are two ways out and in, and wide enough so a chicken can easily move through the space. Sometimes a chicken needs to get out of the line of sight of others.

Good luck.

Here are some pictures during the building process and a screenshot of the inside of the coop as of right now. I hope this gives a good idea. The coop is 4x8. There are 4 roosting bars that span the 4ft width (one is out of view of the camera) and 4 nesting boxes.
Current photos of run would help - mainly what I'm looking for is clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to provide hiding spaces and to keep birds busy. Since you already feed a high protein feed and minimal treats, protein sounds like it shouldn't be a factor so boredom is a possibility. Do you free range at all?

Coop space is tight for the amount of birds, you have plenty of roosts but floor space is tight. Do the birds ever get confined inside or choose to stay inside (i.e. bad weather) for any length of time?

Current photos of run would help - mainly what I'm looking for is clutter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to provide hiding spaces and to keep birds busy. Since you already feed a high protein feed and minimal treats, protein sounds like it shouldn't be a factor so boredom is a possibility. Do you free range at all?

Coop space is tight for the amount of birds, you have plenty of roosts but floor space is tight. Do the birds ever get confined inside or choose to stay inside (i.e. bad weather) for any length of time?
Here's a few more I took today. There's not a ton of clutter. There's an old stump that I built around and lots of roosting space in one area. I plan to add other enrichment as well, but do already have some balls and a treat dispenser they have to peck at.

They're never confined to the coop other than to sleep and I never really see them hanging out inside other than to lay eggs. They're often out in the rain on their own accord too.

Attachments

• IMG_9021.jpg
    IMG_9021.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9020.jpg
    IMG_9020.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9019.jpg
    IMG_9019.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 5
Here's a few more I took today. There's not a ton of clutter. There's an old stump that I built around and lots of roosting space in one area. I plan to add other enrichment as well, but do already have some balls and a treat dispenser they have to peck at.
It's a big space but there's not anything for the chickens to do other than eat. Since you have the room for it, I'd add a ton of clutter - doesn't have to be anything fancy, just scrape up junk from around the yard like large pots, pallets, wheelbarrows, patio furniture that you don't mind having pooped on, etc. You want to visually break up the space so birds can't really see clear across the run from any one spot.

I think you need to reduce the flock. They are telling you, that this is not working for them. Rules of thumbs are just rules of thumbs - but even so, but according to the one often stated here, you have about enough space for 8-10 birds.

In my thoughts, roosters take more room than hens. I would suggest either removing 1 rooster and and enough hens to get down to 11 hens and a rooster at the max.

Or let both roosters go, and getting down to 12 hens. Then wait and see how it goes.

I do believe in a lot of clutter - to the point that it is a bit difficult for a person to walk around. That could help, and multiple feed stations is always important when you get above 5 birds. Set them up so that when a bird is eating at one station, they cannot see who is eating at another station.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom