Pullet missing head feathers

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but it didn't seem like an emergency and more of a chicken behavior issue.

I have a few pullets who are missing feathers on the back of their heads. I know about hen saddles for mating, but that only protects their backs and I'm also concerned about Florida heat compounded by chickens wearing. Basically what is a blanket.

They have a 50 x 20 run and two coops (8x10 and 16x12) for 37 chickens - so space isn't an issue. We also have lots of clutter and roosts (the playground, as we call it).

I have attached a photo. Is this mating behavior or is this the pullets bullying one another. I haven't observed any bullying and never observed a cockerel doing this during mating - and it's only two of the girls that seem average in the pecking order. We have been applying vetricyn but is there a way to discourage the behavior?

Attachments

• PXL_20240226_201931761.jpg
    PXL_20240226_201931761.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 28
When they mate the male grabs the back of the females head. The purpose if the head grab is to tell the girl to raise her tail out of the way so he can hit the target, her vent. Without the head grab there would be no fertile eggs. Occasionally some feathers can be pulled out. That's what this looks like.

It is possible she could develop enough of a bald spot and he could grab skin and wind up cutting her so it bleeds. If that happens you might need to separate her long enough for the skin to heal, they can become cannibals if they see blood. Usually they do not get injured to where they bleed. Even if they bleed the other chickens usually don't bother them. But it can happen so keep an eye out for it.

Since the head grab is instinctive during mating I don't know of any way to discourage it if you want fertile eggs. Removing the boys is a way to stop it. Often they outgrow this.

When they mate the male grabs the back of the females head. The purpose if the head grab is to tell the girl to raise her tail out of the way so he can hit the target, her vent. Without the head grab there would be no fertile eggs. Occasionally some feathers can be pulled out. That's what this looks like.

It is possible she could develop enough of a bald spot and he could grab skin and wind up cutting her so it bleeds. If that happens you might need to separate her long enough for the skin to heal, they can become cannibals if they see blood. Usually they do not get injured to where they bleed. Even if they bleed the other chickens usually don't bother them. But it can happen so keep an eye out for it.

Since the head grab is instinctive during mating I don't know of any way to discourage it if you want fertile eggs. Removing the boys is a way to stop it. Often they outgrow this.
It's only on two of the girls though. I guess these two are just the boys favorites. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom