Bullying vs establishing a pecking order

Kedwar72

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
Hi! New to chickens over here and I just added a 11 week old pullet to my small flock with two other pullets around 12 weeks. They are all around the same size but the head hen is a little heavier. I am struggling with the head hen being mean to the new hen. I had the new one in a dog cage in the coop for a few days and her introduction to the coop outside of the dog cage went great with my third hen. But the head one won’t allow the new one near food and shakes her tail feathers/jumps at the new one anytime she comes near.

Is this normal behavior to establish the pecking order? Will this resolve in a couple of days or should I treat this like a bullying issue and separate the head hen for a few days? Thank you so much!

I see. What is a good length of time to keep the new one in the cage? Should I put her back in now or is it not necessary at this point? The head pullet is jumping at her, not on her. But I have been so nervous that I haven’t let this behavior go on long enough to see if she would jump on top of her or not. Should I just let them be for a while and see what happens? It just looks very scary for the new one and she screeches when the head pullet gets near her, so it’s difficult to watch.

You could try reintroducing them, but I don't know if it'll work. Introducing a single bird into an established flock is always harder, too. I've never had a bird scream when the "bully" got too close, only when they get a hold of them. I would try see no touch for another week or so, and then start introductions outside. Do that for some more time, and then just let them all go inside to roost, and never separate again

Is this normal behavior to establish the pecking order?
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

It's normal.. proper introduction helps. As well as not adding a single bird to an established group.. which makes it more challenging on that individual bird. More "friends" spreads the pecking around verses being focused.

Also add in extra feeder/waterers for this time so the bully can't defend them all.. and create undernourishment issues. It's a real concern. Pics of your set up might help folks make some "clutter" or enrichment/distraction suggestions.

You could always put the aggressor in the time out (look but don't touch) box.. while the new comer settles in and builds her confidence a bit more. But even this is likely to change as lay approaches. Pecking order is highly dynamic.

Doesn't quite sound like bullying just yet. But I agree it's probably stressful for the new gal.. Also an opportunity for you to befriend her and be a safe spot.. lot's of birds become more friendly when trying to get away from others.. (pullets running from cockerels, etc).

:fl

You could try reintroducing them, but I don't know if it'll work. Introducing a single bird into an established flock is always harder, too. I've never had a bird scream when the "bully" got too close, only when they get a hold of them. I would try see no touch for another week or so, and then start introductions outside. Do that for some more time, and then just let them all go inside to roost, and never separate again
Okay thank you!

It's normal.. proper introduction helps. As well as not adding a single bird to an established group.. which makes it more challenging on that individual bird. More "friends" spreads the pecking around verses being focused.

Also add in extra feeder/waterers for this time so the bully can't defend them all.. and create undernourishment issues. It's a real concern. Pics of your set up might help folks make some "clutter" or enrichment/distraction suggestions.

You could always put the aggressor in the time out (look but don't touch) box.. while the new comer settles in and builds her confidence a bit more. But even this is likely to change as lay approaches. Pecking order is highly dynamic.

Doesn't quite sound like bullying just yet. But I agree it's probably stressful for the new gal.. Also an opportunity for you to befriend her and be a safe spot.. lot's of birds become more friendly when trying to get away from others.. (pullets running from cockerels, etc).

Thank you for your help and suggestions! If I put the head hen in the dog crate, how long would you suggest I do that? I attached photos of my coop and run area. We just finished building it so it doesn’t have much to it right now

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4349.jpeg
    IMG_4349.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
It is a wire crate meant for a small dog. They can see each other clearly! It’s not a travel one

Back
Top Bottom