Bullying

Bayoucrazy

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
South of New Orleans Louisiana
I had one 3 yr old hen who had an injury and was having a hard time walking. I separated her from the flock of 7 in order for her to heal. It took almost 2 months for her to get back walking well enough to go back in with the flock. Unfortunately they did not welcome her back with open wings. At first it was one of the older ladies that attacked her, then a couple of the your girls joined in. Poor Delilah ran squawking to hide behind a water container. They only seemed to want to peck her on the head so as long as she kept her face hidden they left her alone. She eventually planted herself inside one of the nesting boxes and stayed there all day. I would take her out in the morning and let them all free range in backyard but within minutes one of the other girls would attack her and others would join in. I read that you can separate the bullies, but I have no clue which bully is the worst! I have a very large dog kennel that Delilah actually recovered in and can place it inside of the run for the bullies but don’t think more than 2 can fit in there comfortably especially with food and water taking up floor space. Should I just try to take one bully out and see if the dynamics change before I put two in time out??

Can you give her a separate area where she can be seen but they can’t get to her? Otherwise I’d take both the bullies out for a week and reintroduce to see how it goes. Poor Delilah!

Can you give her a separate area where she can be seen but they can’t get to her? Otherwise I’d take both the bullies out for a week and reintroduce to see how it goes. Poor Delilah!
I did already have her away from them for 2 months. She was able to see them but she had run of backyard and slept in kennel at night. I ended up putting the bullies in kennel but kept it in the run so they could all see lol. Chicken humiliation. The other girls seemed to leave her alone but she eventually got back in the nesting box to hide. Maybe tomorrow will be better with the bullies in the kennel.

I did already have her away from them for 2 months. She was able to see them but she had run of backyard and slept in kennel at night. I ended up putting the bullies in kennel but kept it in the run so they could all see lol. Chicken humiliation. The other girls seemed to leave her alone but she eventually got back in the nesting box to hide. Maybe tomorrow will be better with the bullies in the kennel.
The bullies, remove them I mean. Sorry should have been more specific

I suspect the cockerel tried to mate with her and she didn’t want to. If you can it would be best to keep a friend with her if she is away from the rest of the flock for more than a few days. If you can separate the cockerel from the group instead that would be better. If he’s in jail he may learn to sweet talk the gals rather than try to force himself on them. Young cockerels in the spring are a handful for the girls quite often.

That is a very definite option. I have a bachelor pad. The other girls seem fine with him since his tussle with the lead hen. The lead hen is apparently his beta now. SMH.

With her head raw I hesitate to put her back with the flock until she's healed. That's why I was thinking I would try the chicks.

I suspect the cockerel tried to mate with her and she didn’t want to. If you can it would be best to keep a friend with her if she is away from the rest of the flock for more than a few days. If you can separate the cockerel from the group instead that would be better. If he’s in jail he may learn to sweet talk the gals rather than try to force himself on them. Young cockerels in the spring are a handful for the girls quite often.
I don’t have any males at all.

Back
Top Bottom