Bullying

xChickrenMamax

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
I’m hoping for some feedback/suggestions as I have never experienced this type of situation. I had a hen that was broody for what seemed like forever (over a month) and as soon as it broke and she started venturing out all of the sudden the hen who I believe was at the bottom of the pecking order began bullying her. (I should note, I didn’t leave my broody hen in the nesting box the whole time. I did take her out and make her interact with the rest of the crew so she wasn’t 100% isolated at all times).
Now it’s to the point where if the bully just starts to walk her way she runs and squaks. I have witnessed the bully pin her down on multiple occasions in which I’ve then separated them, but it’s just this one hen the others are all fine.
I hate the thought of getting rid of any of my girls but I can’t let this one particular one be bullied like this the rest of her life.

Sadly, this is common, and some would say even normal. The lower hen is trying to fight for your broody hens place on the pecking order, probably because she was out of the mix.

Your broody is no longer showing signs of broodiness, right? They will get bullied back into the nesting box if they are still showing signs.

You can try closing the bully in a dog crate with food and water somewhere predator proof (since dog crates are not), so that she can see everybody but not interact. Let her out in a couple days and see if anything has changed.

How many are in your flock, btw? Do you have a rooster?

Sadly, this is common, and some would say even normal. The lower hen is trying to fight for your broody hens place on the pecking order, probably because she was out of the mix.

Your broody is no longer showing signs of broodiness, right? They will get bullied back into the nesting box if they are still showing signs.

You can try closing the bully in a dog crate with food and water somewhere predator proof (since dog crates are not), so that she can see everybody but not interact. Let her out in a couple days and see if anything has changed.

She is no longer broody, she does make the cluck like she did when she was but she is up and interacting. She will try to roost with them at night and if the bully doesn’t let her I’ll move her up there next to one of the others but when I open them in the AM she’s usually on the highest roost in the coop that only my previous chickens had used before I got these girls. I have 4 and I’m really torn about the separating the bully but it seems it may be the most necessary solution 😬

She'll be fine for a few days, especially if she can see everybody. How long has it been happening?
I’d say at least 3 weeks.
I was considering building a separate little coop/pen off the original.
The hen being bullied has turned into such a mamas girl, she wants to be held and flies on my shoulders - anything to be away from the bully and it breaks my heart so she has her own breakfast in a play pen separately in the AM and then after work they roam freely and I have to keep an eye the two don’t get too close

4 girls, no rooster.
They’re ISA Browns and about 3 1/2 years old. I have never had an issue like this yet. I’ve had a lot of chickens over the years and understand the pecking order but never something that’s constant like this

This is not uncommon as already alluded too. I have had success by isolating the bully a few days for an attitude adjustment. If she was low on the pecking order and challenging for a higher standing the isolation seems to reset the situation and put her back on the defensive. Sometimes nothing works and the chickens have to work it out and let the chips fall as they may! I have placed breeding saddles/covers over the victim and used pine tar to deter pecking, nobody likes that! but it can and has worked for me. Chickens hate pine tar in their mouths! The victims don't like it much either but they can usually get well and escape some attacks with it slathered on their backsides and backs of heads/necks. Best wishes for your flock and good luck!

This is not uncommon as already alluded too. I have had success by isolating the bully a few days for an attitude adjustment. If she was low on the pecking order and challenging for a higher standing the isolation seems to reset the situation and put her back on the defensive. Sometimes nothing works and the chickens have to work it out and let the chips fall as they may! I have placed breeding saddles/covers over the victim and used pine tar to deter pecking, nobody likes that! but it can and has worked for me. Chickens hate pine tar in their mouths! The victims don't like it much either but they can usually get well and escape some attacks with it slathered on their backsides and backs of heads/necks. Best wishes for your flock and good luck!
Thank you! it seems the separation is going to be a must try ASAP.

Be prepared when you isolate your bully, she is not going to like it. She is going to complain to high heavens by pacing around in her little cage, screaming bloody murder and that might upset you. That will stop after a while, she will settle down when she finds out that is the way it is going to be for some time.

Back
Top Bottom