Chicken Pen and Coop Updates!

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Ok. Its done! It took a while but its done! We used an old swing set as the base. It's so heavy I don't think anything could get in there. Here are some pictures. The only chicken in the pictures that is staying is The biggest one. My girl ,Seastar. THe others are standards and are being taken to a farm in the middle of nowhere to live out their adorable little lives. So here's the pictures....Sorry if they're too big.....

4ubs6dy.jpg

This is Seastar. Shes beginning to lose the brown feathers on her head that make her look like a buzzard. My neighbors think she's ugly. I think she's the most beautiful chicken in the world! (doesn't everybody?
tongue.png
)

4py9q4o.jpg

The babes chowing down.

67pkck5.jpg

Front view.

540mr1u.jpg

Side view. You can see the entrance to our coop.

6h6a7ut.jpg

The back of the coop.

6bswa4n.jpg

Inside of the coop.

4uau0w1.jpg

Birds eye view of Seastar checking out the camera.

6ffuidl.jpg

The whole thing, you can see the swings!

Ok. I know I've probably asked this a billion times on here, but since I'm so scared to hurt my poor chickies, I thought I'd run this by you one more time! What do you think about this stocking list of all bantams I plan to put in it....

~Seastar (Shes a bantam)
~1 Brahma bantam
~1 frizzle bantam
~1 Silkie bantam

I might not get the silkie. the pen is 4 foot 9 inches by 6 feet. Ok, Ill stop asking you guys what I can fit in it!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hey there, we used that kind of fencing in our coop too but we doubled it at the bottom to try and keep coons from reaching in and grabbing a hen. Your coop is very nice.

cute! i wouldnt reccomend only keeping sea star - she'll get rather lonely. you should keep at least another chickie with her. also - is there a roost in the coop?

Its so weird. I have some chicks coming from Ideal and Seastar will have a BANTAM frizzle and a Brahma friend. I wish I could have used a more secure fencing, but with my budget. That sixteen dollars for a little chicken wire was pushing it! Sestar has roosts outside the coop, she has to option to stay out on them at night, but only uses them to perch during the day. Every night shes in the nest box sitting on the 11 little babies before I get there. She even did it w/o the babies. Just her personality, I guess.

You're setup is really cute! But there are some issues you need to at least be aware of for the sake of your lovely bantam and any friends you might get for her. For one thing, she will roost on the dividers for the nest boxes and poop in the nests so your eggs will be dirty. I would take out the extra nest (you only need one) and put a roost there. Also, I see woods in the background of your pictures so you can be sure you will have coons, possum, etc, and there is always the chance a neighbor's dog could wander by. Any of these, and a slew of other preditors, could very easily tear through the chicken wire. I understand quite well the financial problem here, I have the same problem myself, but the fact still remains that the preditors can and will tear through the wire. For this reason, you should, at the very least, lock your birds up before dark and be looking around, maybe freecycle or Home Depot and Lowes marked down because it was cut wrong wire. Of course 1/2" hardware cloth would be best, but you should be able to get by with 2x4" welded wire if you put the chicken wire around the bottom L shaped out the bottom (to prevent digging) and up 2' to prevent coons from reaching through. Preditors do come out during the day so the wire is needed even when you lock up the birds at night. But, even with this, you should lock up the birds at night for their safety. And you will need much better locks on your gate. Please don't think I am in any way criticizing you or putting down your neat setup. But you obviously love your little girl and I know it would be very painful for you if something happened to her.

Last edited:
Yes. I have begun locking her up. Between us neighbors, we have about 16 dogs (all spayed and neutered pets, not feral or anything!). We have our Boxer/Great Dane mix tied up by the coop and have never seen even a cat by it!
lau.gif
The coop is also by the house and next to our yard full of 6 barking dogs! Our chickies have body guards. All of our dogs are kept away from them by a 6 foot privacy fence and the ones allowed out actually protect them and KNOW that anything in a cage in off limits.
oh - that was my other question - are you going to put a roost in?

As far as the roost, do you think I could attach a few small ones to the inside front of the coop??? Away from the nest areas. Maybe high enough off the ground they could walk under it, though.
Please don't think I am in any way criticizing you or putting down your neat setup. But you obviously love your little girl and I know it would be very painful for you if something happened to her.

Yes, it would. I know. I am definitely thinking of ways to make the coop safer. It is in no danger of dogs. If only I could hit the lottery....just once. The coons would fear my electrified fencing and barbed wire. Oh, don't forget the attack pit bulls chained up outside. :thun​

you only need one nest, and your run is only big enough for 3 banties. 1 nest per 5 hens. which you still only need 1. if you get rid of the other 2, by taking out the divider, you could put a roost in there. i suggest putting the roost INSIDE the coop

I think I would keep the wild bird feeder away from the coop. They can spread disease to your flock. just a suggestion don't want to offend. erinm

Last edited:
I bought that feeder brand new specifically for the chickens. Wild birds have no access to it whatsoever. Thank you for your concern and helpful comments!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom