CHICKEN PEN WITH DIVIDED SECTIONS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muscovy94, Mar 27, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I am wanting to build a new chicken pen, and am wanting to like divide it into like sections. So it will be like one chicken pen, but it will have like 3 sections. Does anyone on here have a chicken pen that is divided into sections? And if you do, could you please post a pic. I am wanting to start construction as soon as possible. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance. muscovy94 [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Check Jody's coop! She has an awesome breeder set up! The username is hinkjc

3. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I plan on dividing my pen in half so I can get some grass to grow in one half at a time. Each half will still be about 48 feet long and 17 feet wide.

I'm not sure if it will help you or not. But, I have a pic on my blog.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't have any pix, sorry, but I halved my 7x20 Sussex pen this past winter. It wasn't something a person would need pix or plans for -- I just added a chickenwire dividing wall, stapled to 2x2s, and stapled opened-out old feedbags onto the bottom 2-3' so the cockerels wouldn't be tempted to try to fight thru the wire (which is why I was separating them). It took only a few hrs to do, was very easy.

Have fun,

Pat

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:This is how my new run will be also...grass on one side and garden on the other. I'll switch the chickens with the seasons. Mine will be about 26 feet long by 13 ft wide in each section. The coop will be divided too so I can house my new additions to the flock separately while they grow and get accepted by the old flock. My husband is making it a temporary divider so it can be opened up and used by all once everyone is friends. I am so totally excited for this [​IMG] I was happy just getting a divided run, but now I am going to have a divided coop too!

I haven't finished the plan drawing yet but I will soon since are starting to build it in a couple weeks.

6. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    I am not sure how well this will show up, but I have 5 different sections for my pens (only 4 are in this picture). I have 2 sections 10x20 (1 for ducks, and 1 for guineas), 2 sections that are 20x20 (now being used as 1 for geese-not pictured, and 1 for chickens), and 1 section that is 10x10 (for bantams). Everything is covered with deer netting to keep hawks and owls out, and to keep the guineas in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    That's awesome! I love it....I wonder if I can talk hubby into something like that....hmmmmm they did have baby ducks at the feed store today [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wow, jlbpooh! That looks like a giant chicken playground! [​IMG]

9. Starwalker Fallen Angel

Starwalker Fallen Angel Out Of The Brooder

I have a lack of space for large areas. Since I have trios or 3 hens to 1 roo. This set up is perfect. I can keep it in as compact an area as possible and still have the birds in one area without going from coop to coop outside. Even in bad weather I can tend the birds. The runs will be 15 ft long and about 4 ft wide.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128949

But I do have more chickens than this give me room for. It only houses 20 breeds. So I have 10 X 10 X 6 dog kennels with raised coops so they can get under and it doesn't take up floor space in the kennel I made an access door to gather eggs. I clean those when it's not mucky in the run. I use sand to keep it from mucking up too bad and prevents the chickens from carrying mud up into the coops.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. jlbpooh

jlbpooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    Catawba, SC
    It is like a giant chicken playground, but they still like to roam around out in the grass in our 6 acres better. They do spend a fair amount of time in their pens though since they only get to free range while we are home. Today I filled the 2 front section with sand a few inches deep. Then I put 2 new pools in, one for the ducks, and 1 for the geese. Tomorrow night I am going to start filling sand in the farther 2 sections since I ran out of time today. I have a couple of electric cable spools in there too that have trees that we cut down going from the top of those to the ground so there are multiple places to play. Plus I have trees going horizontally stuck in the chain link to make more roosting room. I will have to take more pictures now that my goose houses are done. They are all sided to match the big coop and the duck house. I have recycled as much material as possible in making everything. About the only new materials on anything is the deer netting, and some of the roofing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by