Chicken Photography

@Fur-N-Fowl , thanks for the ideas! You have amazing photography! It's cool to see other people actually do chicken photography like that.

Here is some pictures of a stray cat that used to come around:

IMG_5137_kindlephoto-300412806[315].jpg

IMG_5124_kindlephoto-300666672[316].jpg

IMG_5752_kindlephoto-299054846[308].jpg

I use a Canon EOS Rebel T5. I've been doing photography for quite a few years now. I think the most chicken pictures I ever took in a day was 800 or more. I have discovered the best pictures are the ones were the chickens are happy. Some chickens don't like people near them, so I have to have a bigger lens on my camera so that I can be further away without me bothering them. Some chickens are better in pictures than others, too. Sex-Link hens and hens on top of pecking orders look and do better in pictures. Roosters usually are good, too.
We have similar cameras except mine's a T3. What settings have you found work well? I've been playing around with those for a while trying to find what works best, I've found sometimes if I use motion capture I don't get the best quality at times.:idunno

@Fur-N-Fowl , thanks for the ideas! You have amazing photography! It's cool to see other people actually do chicken photography like that.

Here is some pictures of a stray cat that used to come around:

View attachment 1832557

View attachment 1832560

View attachment 1832561
Oh, boy... in the second picture, I can't un-see that black spot on its nose as, well, a nose. Sticking out, like a cartoon rat's, almost....
Anyway, it's a beautiful kitty! Very fluffy.

We have similar cameras except mine's a T3. What settings have you found work well? I've been playing around with those for a while trying to find what works best, I've found sometimes if I use motion capture I don't get the best quality at times.:idunno
Well, I typically have it on Manual Exposure with the lighting at 1/200. Sometimes I have to adjust this depending on what the natural lighting is. It's rare whenever I use the flash. The flash will sometimes take away the color of their faces.
Then the other setting I use is Aperture Priority AE. That will automatically adjust the lighting for you. I've been using that lately on my more recent pictures. With that setting the pictures typically come out with good lighting, but not all the time. So, I end up going back to Manual Exposure so I can change the lighting to something that I know will work.
Sometimes I have to use Sports on the standard setting, but I haven't played around with this setting with the birds, yet.
I also use more than one lense. I have the EFS 18-55mm lense that I typically have on it for when I get closer to the chickens. Then I use my 75-300mm lense for when I'm far away. That's what I was using for those cat pictures. That cat (I called him Sebastian) was a stray, so I never was able to get real close to it, even though the more I came around him, the closer I got.
Does any of this help?

Certainly; I'll play around with those settings and see what I can come up with, thanks! I use the 28-200mm lens most often as I find it to be a good middle ground unless I'm taking pictures of chicks or want closer portrait like pictures then I'll use the 18-55mm but usually end up back at the 28-200 not too long after😂. I'll see what I can learn from the 75-300. I don't use flash when I have acess to natural light but I've found sometimes it can counteract the red from the heat lamp when I'm photographing chicks.

Back
Top Bottom