Chicken plucker. Bicycle rim pulley.

JongBoer

Hatching
Jan 17, 2020
Good day.
I am busy building a drum style plucker, but need a driven pulley that will turn the plate. However, I am struggling to find a suitable pulley, I am considering a bicycle rim.
Has anyone tried it before PR recommendations?

Greetings from South Africa.

V Belt pulleys are usually not very cheap, maybe $60 US. With a bike rim you'll have to find a way to lock it to the shaft. I got one cheap from scrap. I have had one as a DIY project for a while and using a 12" pulley to a 3" pulley and a 1/2hp motor is not strong enough. Still trying to find a cheap motor near 1 hp

If you can find a old swamp cooler, I believe they have most of the parts your looking for. I remember many moons ago seeing a swamp cooler setup as a plucker at a OG duck club (1978), I have yet to see a picture of it on the web. I have been surfing the web for it to no avail.

V Belt pulleys are usually not very cheap, maybe $60 US. With a bike rim you'll have to find a way to lock it to the shaft. I got one cheap from scrap. I have had one as a DIY project for a while and using a 12" pulley to a 3" pulley and a 1/2hp motor is not strong enough. Still trying to find a cheap motor near 1 hp
are you using a v -belt on the bike rim? If so is it just slipping to much that the 1/2 hp isn't working? I bought a 12" pulley on Amazon for 37.00 I also planned on a 1/2 hp 1725rpm motor that I had laying around. I hope I don't need to buy a bigger motor.

I have a 1/2 hp motor on a 2" v-belt pulley on the motor and 12" v-belt pulley on the plucker. I have to mount the 2" pulley as they one I have on it now is out of balance and probably an energy sapper. That said, I didn't think it was strong enough. Tried it on a big white duck and it stalled. Every model sold one is a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hp motor

I have to work on it more, but I got a breeders coop to build, garden to fence in and other projects needing precedence.

Back
Top Bottom