1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken poo fertilizer

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kycowgirlchick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I have heard that chicken poo is wonderful fertilizer. Is this true? Does it need to be composted first? You know aged a little?? Can it be put straight on plants??

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

It should be composted, or at least aged a little bit. You can put it straight on some things in small amounts, but use sparingly if you do that. It will burn plants if too much is used.

Bluemoon

3. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    It is good fertilizer but be careful because it will burn plants. I have a tray under the roost that I catch mine in. I wouldn't use pine shavings/poo unless it has been very thoroughly composted because of acidity issues.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the information. It is just what I thought.

5. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I just started a chicken poo composter and I'm mixing hay into it. It's a giant experiment and I don't know how long to let it compost and what else I should add to it. Also I wonder whether I should add some worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by