Chicken poo pic ... Is this normal or should I be worried?

kberndtson

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I have a 8 week old RIR pullet. I found several of these droppings in her pen this morning and this afternoon (see pic). I've read a bit about normal intestinal shedding and coccidiosis. I did run to the store to get some Corid in case I need it. Is this normal or not? She has several of these types of droppings ... I'd say about 8 all from this morning and this afternoon and she's never had them before. She's fed non-medicated feed and has only been outside for a couple of hours over the course of the last couple of weeks. I'm a bit worried because I had another pullet the same age that we found dead in the pen with her on Friday a.m. She didn't exhibit any signs of anything, just found her dead. I had a group of four birds running together (two Welsummer roos and two RIR pullets. I just got rid of the two roosters and now the only one I have left is this one). Would it be beneficial to give her the Corid regardless of whether she has coccidosis or should I just wait and watch her? She doesn't appear to be listless or anything else, just lonely, which I can certainly understand given her situation. Thanks!

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
I've never dealt with cocci. However, it's not normal for a chicken to be shedding intestinal lining several times in the morning and afternoon also. I recommend treating them. Maybe someone else can help you more than I can who has more experience in this area.

Top Bottom