Chicken poo

Compost, absolutely! I have 150 rose bushes (rose math is every bit as much of a "thing" as chicken math! - started out with 3 bushes 10 years ago!) - composted chicken poop is gold to me.

SO glad you said that!! :eek:I just ordered 2 very special roses from Heirloom Roses and they will need feeding! How do you apply chicken manure to your roses? Fresh, aged, composted, mixed in water? How do you make your compost? I REALLY don’t want to kill these roses, they were a special Christmas gift! These are my first ever roses, and I am terrified of hurting them!:oops:

I have an outbuilding near the property line that has no windows nor doors along the side that faces the fence line. This area is perhaps three feet wide and was once a weed garden that grew in excess of four feet high. I dump quail and chicken poop there, fresh & hot. I only need to have the gardener cut that area once or twice a year (during the high rainy season when it's too wet for the poop to kill off the weeds).

Sigh. My dog complicates matters. She loves chicken poop and I don't need to tell you what it does to her breath! But I have a friend who brought me a few wooden pallets, and I have a roll of chicken wire, so now making a composting area that I can keep Gracie out of is an actual possibility! I will line two pallets with the chicken wire and stand them up in a corner of the run to create a square area to dump litter / poop in. When it is well composted (this spring or maybe later this summer, after the rainy season), it can go into an area of the run I intend to reclaim from the chickens for a few tomato plants. And also my little herb garden. This is me doing my happy dance! :celebrate

SO glad you said that!! :eek:I just ordered 2 very special roses from Heirloom Roses and they will need feeding! How do you apply chicken manure to your roses? Fresh, aged, composted, mixed in water? How do you make your compost? I REALLY don’t want to kill these roses, they were a special Christmas gift! These are my first ever roses, and I am terrified of hurting them!:oops:

Very cool! Roses are incredibly addictive, and surprisingly easy to grow (I have NO idea about growing them in PA, but you can google a ton of info about them and I learned a lot on rose forums). They are very hardy - biggest concerns are ensuring they get enough water, but have good drainage so they don't "sit" in water.

Composted is best - I just pile it up - poop, and any bedding (shavings, straw / hay, whatever), let the rains come, and turn it every week or so until it breaks down (6 months is good). Apply over the top soil covering the rose, and keep away from the trunk so you don't burn the plant.

Good luck!

I am in MO and have no luck with roses whatsoever. We have one in front of the house that's about 15 years old: it's still a spindly little twig and squeezes out about three pathetic little blossoms a year. Insert sad face here, lol. But I do real well with bulbs so I don't feel like a total gardening failure. Once I get this composting business taken care of I'll tackle this rose issue and beat it into submission too, you'll see! :gig

Edit: corrected typos (spelling)

Last edited:
I am in MO and have no luck with roses whatsoever. We have one in front of the house that's about 15 years old: it's still a spindly little twing and squeezed out about three pathetic little blossoms a year. Insert sad face here, lol. But I do real well with bulbs so I don't feel like a total gardening failure. Once I get this composting business taken care of I'll tackle this rose issue and beat it into submission too, you'll see! :gig
I believe in you, @BigBlueHen53 !!!

Back
Top Bottom