Chicken POOP management for free range?

To get some vegetation in their run, build a simple frame of 2x4s or 2x6s. Cover one side tightly with chicken wire and place it in the run, wire side up. If it's on ground chickens have already destroyed, put an inch of topsoil inside. Seed it with whatever you like, grass, oats, millet or just whatever weeds volunteer. Chickens will be able to eat whatever grows through, but won't be able to scratch up the roots and destroy it
I love this! Any photos?

To get some vegetation in their run, build a simple frame of 2x4s or 2x6s. Cover one side tightly with chicken wire and place it in the run, wire side up. If it's on ground chickens have already destroyed, put an inch of topsoil inside. Seed it with whatever you like, grass, oats, millet or just whatever weeds volunteer. Chickens will be able to eat whatever grows through, but won't be able to scratch up the roots and destroy it
I absolutely love this idea! I think I might do it and I'll post a pacific I do

I love this! Any photos?
Sadly, no, I haven't needed to do this for years. My ladies free-range now, but it was a big help when I had to keep them in a run. The wire will sag in the middle if you make a big one, or you can just run some strips of wood in the middle for support.

Back
Top Bottom