Chicken POOP management for free range?

Boise-girls

Songster
May 26, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Can you please explain this process? Maybe it's straight forward but I might be missing something. No, it isn't much space imo to ignore it. With their sand area, about 120 sq ft, it's easy to pick up the poop with a rake sifter and it takes about 3 minutes. I put the picture. But, with wet grass? How exactly are you scraping? Do you just hunt down the poops in the grass?

You pl
Yes, that's exactly what I do. My grass isn't typically wet, though. We're pretty dry here, and I put just enough water in the chicken run to keep the grass alive. If I water, it's after I pick up the poop. Most of the poop is on the dry side after a bit of time in the sun. (It will probably be different in the winter!) They do seem to have favorite areas for hanging out (and pooping) so I'm usually not picking up every square inch.

Sunshine Ruth

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2017
Can you please explain this process? Maybe it's straight forward but I might be missing something. No, it isn't much space imo to ignore it. With their sand area, about 120 sq ft, it's easy to pick up the poop with a rake sifter and it takes about 3 minutes. I put the picture. But, with wet grass? How exactly are you scraping? Do you just hunt down the poops in the grass?

You pl
Hi This is Sushine in Johannesburg SA. I have 4 silkies plus 4 hiline layers I am worried because the hilines poop has become black and wet, instead of being firm half white with seperate black. They free range in the garden from 3pm till they take themselves to bed. poop is now too messy to pick up, they love fresh grass, spinach and some kitchen waste.
I think the fowl food is Genetically modified because they dont like it and I cannot find where to purhase NON GM grain. Anyone please advise

Top Bottom