Chicken poop on eggs ....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krista74, Nov 25, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    This might sound like a silly question, but here goes....

I have a hen, and she is 1 year old. She was always a sporadic layer, and now after a long unexplained sabbatical has resumed laying again.

I am delighted, of course, but we have a small issue. She has laid two eggs now, a few days apart, and both times they had poop on them. Not a little streak of poop, but a huge chunk of it, stuck to the side of the egg as if it had been smeared on with a knife.

Now....YES, I can clean them. And YES, I can deal with it. But I'm wondering why this is happening, and only with her?

Our nest boxes are squeaky clean, as is the coop floor - I replace the hay regularly and have inspected the nest but there is no poop in there other than what is stuck to the egg.

The hen herself is clean to look at - she is not one of those girls who has a dirty butt.

The weather is not wet here at the moment so it's definitely not mud she trampled in. Their run does have some poop in it of course, but it gets raked out regularly and it doesn't look like it was transferred from her feet.

She, along with everyone else, has been wormed and is strong and healthy.

And interestingly enough - she is one of those girls who likes to snaffle all the plastic eggs and hide them under her whilst she is laying - and NONE of those have poop on them - just the real one she laid.

So what gives? I know eggs and poop come from 'the same place' but I didn't think hens could do both at once? Any ideas?

- Krista

2. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    That is normal.

3. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    Nice to know another Auss.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Inconvenient, but normal for some hens. I have a couple of Welsummers that just can't seem to keep from laying poopy eggs.

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    OK, thanks everyone.

I am intrigued as to why she would be doing it now, as she never did before. Her eggs always used to be clean.

Oh well, as I said, I'll cope! I'm just grateful she is laying again.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by