Chicken poop question

amymarie1221

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 3, 2016
Woodland, WA
Okay so I have 13 hens and I always notice a variation of poops. Most I don't worry about, but the watery ones and the runny ones worry me. I do not see any worms so I don't necessarily want to just worm them. I had been feeding lettuce and cabbage so I thought maybe the extra water was the culprit. I stopped feeding them veggie scraps and they only have layer pellets and fresh water then a waterer with crushed garlic and I'm still seeing some with watery poop. All are acting normal and eat and drinking and doing chicken things. This is my first time owning chickens, so am I just worrying for nothing? I figureded if it was something serious then they would start acting different.

There are forums on poop, what's normal, what's not.  Here are a couple links to poop charts:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html
I've had chickens with watery poop that cleared up by itself and I never figured it out.   Hopefully yours will pass....( : 

Thank you. It's hard to tell if it looks similar to the normal or the abnormal. It looked kind of like an abnormal one but I don't know if her description is above or below the pic.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in on this. I have not seen worms or diseases, so I don't know. You could actually take a pic and post it later, like this evening... when.more people will be online.

Okay so I have 13 hens and I always notice a variation of poops. Most I don't worry about, but the watery ones and the runny ones worry me. I do not see any worms so I don't necessarily want to just worm them. I had been feeding lettuce and cabbage so I thought maybe the extra water was the culprit. I stopped feeding them veggie scraps and they only have layer pellets and fresh water then a waterer with crushed garlic and I'm still seeing some with watery poop. All are acting normal and eat and drinking and doing chicken things. This is my first time owning chickens, so am I just worrying for nothing? I figureded if it was something serious then they would start acting different.
Welcome to BYC! A picture would be very helpful.

You are worrying for nothing. If your chickens are lethargic, barely moving, sunken in appearance, not eating...then they are sick and should be culled from the flock, not treated. If they are alert, eating and active, they are not sick, and should not be treated.

Do not add garlic to your water. It is kind of boring, but really only feed kitchen scraps, (not to many) and ordinary chicken feed, and scratch and clean water. No need to add anything to the water, just keep it clean and fresh.

If you want, you can buy just wheat seed and sprout that. Mine like that this time of year, but once the world has greened up, it is not highly valued.

Mrs K

Agreed with Mrs K on the garlic. While garlic is a natural helminthic, and is reported to boost the immune system, it is also a blood thinner. They don't need garlic in their water daily. You might dose them with it several times/year, but, I'd not give it to them daily. You also need to remember that chickens don't pee! All of their kidney output exits right along with their poo, so they naturally have wetter poo than mammals do! If you do want to help them in regards to their health and their immunity, as well as their gut health and feed conversion, try fermenting their feed. Check out the FAQ article in my signature.

Welcome to BYC! A picture would be very helpful.

It wouldn't let me add more than one photo so I made a poop collage lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom