Chicken poop

speedyjones

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
North Carolina
I am wondering if my chicken is okay...Some of her poops, in fact most of them, are grayish, playdough consistancy with a white tip and only a mild odor. However, the ones that concern me are very dark brown or black, no white tip, and have a strong, repulsive odor. Is that normal? Does everyone's chicken do that?

A couple of times a day chickens will have a cecal poo that is brown liquidy and smells bad. I think there a posts about this issue if you search for the word "splort" I think that is what others have called this kind of poo.

If there is not any blood in it dont worry much, poop changes. If you are not sure , drop it on a paper towel or in a small cup of water , if blood water will turn pink , white paper towel will show red easier.

Thanks for all the replies! It must be "splort." I am relieved to know that nothing is wrong with my birdie...but after looking at questions and answers under "splort" I wonder if I'm suppose to be giving Speedy supplements, worm meds or other things to keep her healthy. I've just been feeding, watering and loving her. She's an only chick so she couldn't have picked up any chicken sickness...

We had an only chick for two weeks until another clutch of eggs hatched and we could get her some companions. Her first cecal poop that I noticed fizzed. You can imagine my horror! Fortunately, a quick check in this forum helped me to figure out what it was.

Will you be getting a couple more chicks to keep yours company?

Never thought I'd be thanking someone for a chicken poop chart, but here I am doing just that! I'm new at this and obsessing over EVERYTHING connected to my happy little flock. This helped allay a lot of my worries!

Never thought I'd be thanking someone for a chicken poop chart, but here I am doing just that! I'm new at this and obsessing over EVERYTHING connected to my happy little flock. This helped allay a lot of my worries!

I think it is the common reaction to the poop chart. "I can't beleive I'm looking at this!"!, quickly followed by "I'm so thankful someone put this together!" Cam't tell you how many times I looked at it during my first month as a chicken owner.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom