Chicken pooped out egg (white and yolk) and a very soft broken shell

Floppity

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
Tonight I was sitting next to my chickens and wait till they fall asleep. All of a sudden one of them pooped out an egg (yolk and white) followed by a very soft broken egg shell. This is at 9 pm so I am very worried what this could be
Screenshot_20210616-205638_Video Player.jpg

Probably just a soft shelled egg. Some of my girls have been laying soft eggs lately. If the yolk and white part came out, she’s probably okay, but it’s still something to keep an eye on.

Do you feed layer pellets? If not, make sure you have calcium (usually oyster shells) available. I don’t feed my flock layer pellets because I have roos and the extra calcium can be bad for them, so I provide oyster shells.

If she has access to enough calcium, some external thing could have stressed her out (predator in the area lately, too hot, some other sudden change etc).

Also, it could be parasites. Check for mites around the vent (they are teeny tiny). If there are no mites it could be internal worms. Parasites rob them of nutrients and cause extra stress. I just treated my flock for roundworms. I think that might have been the culprit behind my girls’ egg issue. Hoping the treatment worked and they’ll return to normal soon.

Good luck with yours!

Probably just a soft shelled egg. Some of my girls have been laying soft eggs lately. If the yolk and white part came out, she’s probably okay, but it’s still something to keep an eye on.

Do you feed layer pellets? If not, make sure you have calcium (usually oyster shells) available. I don’t feed my flock layer pellets because I have roos and the extra calcium can be bad for them, so I provide oyster shells.

If she has access to enough calcium, some external thing could have stressed her out (predator in the area lately, too hot, some other sudden change etc).

Also, it could be parasites. Check for mites around the vent (they are teeny tiny). If there are no mites it could be internal worms. Parasites rob them of nutrients and cause extra stress. I just treated my flock for roundworms. I think that might have been the culprit behind my girls’ egg issue. Hoping the treatment worked and they’ll return to normal soon.

Good luck with yours!
Hi, thank you for your reply. You said to give them oyster shells, but I live in a part of the world where they are not available. Would bought egg shells be enough?

Back
Top Bottom