Chicken pooping blood

grannyhensdream

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2022
Hi All. I have searched the forum and see that most likely my hen has coccidiosis because she is pooping blood. pale comb and not very active. I started treating with cord in the drinking water for everyone, (15 hens 1 rooster). 2 questions: I want to treat her directly with the Corid (is that drenching?) but the dosage mystifies me. She barely weighs a lb. I have see the dosages here but how does one measure that teeny tiny bit? Other question, I have isolated her in an old dog kennel. It's not big but she fits ok in it. I have no other area for her. Does that work? She clearly doesn't feel well poor girl. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One more question: anyone experience this that it wasn't coccidiosis ? Something else?

Hi All. I have searched the forum and see that most likely my hen has coccidiosis because she is pooping blood. pale comb and not very active. I started treating with cord in the drinking water for everyone, (15 hens 1 rooster). 2 questions: I want to treat her directly with the Corid (is that drenching?) but the dosage mystifies me. She barely weighs a lb. I have see the dosages here but how does one measure that teeny tiny bit? Other question, I have isolated her in an old dog kennel. It's not big but she fits ok in it. I have no other area for her. Does that work? She clearly doesn't feel well poor girl. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One more question: anyone experience this that it wasn't coccidiosis ? Something else?
Do you have photos of the poop and of her?

How old is she?

Blood in the poop could be from Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Do not add any additional supplements or vitamins to food/water that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course treatment.

A direct oral drench is just that, an undiluted amount of Liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight can be given orally for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. If she's not drinking the mixed water, then you'll want to syringe the water into her several times a day.

If you have a vet that can run a fecal float fairly quickly (like today) to make sure it's Coccidiosis, that would be good. A Sulfa Drug or Toltrazuril may be more effective treatments than the Corid.

Do you have photos of the poop and of her?

How old is she?

Blood in the poop could be from Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Do not add any additional supplements or vitamins to food/water that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course treatment.

A direct oral drench is just that, an undiluted amount of Liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight can be given orally for 3 days. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. If she's not drinking the mixed water, then you'll want to syringe the water into her several times a day.

If you have a vet that can run a fecal float fairly quickly (like today) to make sure it's Coccidiosis, that would be good. A Sulfa Drug or Toltrazuril may be more effective treatments than the Corid.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't have my phone with me when I cleaned out the coop this morning. And I have to say that I was rather upset and wanted to clean it all up and get her isolated. It kinda looked like a murder in there! I did the drench and she is actually eating and drinking and a bit more active. She had 2 decent clean poops and one small bit of a blood one but too small to capture in a photo. Hopefully she is on the road to recovery. (That is horrible!!) Thanks so much!!

Thanks for your reply. I didn't have my phone with me when I cleaned out the coop this morning. And I have to say that I was rather upset and wanted to clean it all up and get her isolated. It kinda looked like a murder in there! I did the drench and she is actually eating and drinking and a bit more active. She had 2 decent clean poops and one small bit of a blood one but too small to capture in a photo. Hopefully she is on the road to recovery. (That is horrible!!) Thanks so much!!
OH and she is 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom