Chicken pooping red/maroon poop & not accepting feed.

Any more red poop? Has it returned to normal color?
He pooped green in the morning. He hasn't pooped since then. From morning he is making strange sounds like a puppy(I think he is sneezing). I am giving him 25mg of amoxicillin syrup (for human kids). Is tetracycline good? If yes can you recommend dosage?

Last edited:
The green poop means he doesn't have internal bleeding. But it does show he's not eating. The green is bile from the liver, not food waste. Nothing more than that except to show he probably is feeling sick.

By strange sounds, do you mean squeaking or rattling? Is he leaking fluid from his beak holes? Are his eyes bubbling? I think the tetracycline would be better for a respiratory illness. Look at this and it will show dosages. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/oxytetracyline-and-tetracycline-powder-doses.1022878/

Have you looked really thoroughly down his throat? It sounds like he could have something stuck to be making that sound.

There are so many possibilities that without a veterinarian examining him, it's all just guessing and throwing treatments at it hoping something takes. If it's bacterial, then sure, antibiotics. But, it could be viral. Wet pox comes to mind. There isn't much of anything to be done for it other than supportive care and quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom