Chicken poops?

BethAplinMartin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
Hi everyone. I've got a couple of chickens with these odd looking poops. The brown one smells strange. No unusual smell from the other one. Both seem lethargic and not well. The rest of the flock seem fine. I've brought the two in that aren't feeling good and now hearing some congestion. I thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20221130_161146.jpg
    20221130_161146.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221130_161353.jpg
    20221130_161353.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 8
The left one looks like a cecal poop mixed with a normal poop, and white urates, although a little runny. There could be tapeworm segments in that one, but I cannot be sure. Do you see any of the white specks moving? Is there any way you can take some droppings in to your vet for a fecal float test? The one on the right looks dark green like she is not eating much, and the urates are yellow which is a sign of liver problems. Is her lower belly full and tight?

The left one looks like a cecal poop mixed with a normal poop, and white urates, although a little runny. There could be tapeworm segments in that one, but I cannot be sure. Do you see any of the white specks moving? Is there any way you can take some droppings in to your vet for a fecal float test? The one on the right looks dark green like she is not eating much, and the urates are yellow which is a sign of liver problems. Is her lower belly full and tight?
Thank you for that assessment. The second poop is my roo's and he hasn't been eating much. He doesn't have a tight tummy, but maybe that was a question if a hen? He's doing much better. The first poo is one of my hens. I'm glad it looks normal and will be worming all with valbazen asap. Ill keep an eye on my roo's urate color and start figuring out what to do to support his liver function. They both still have slight congestion, but began improving when I added Colloidal silver to their waters. Thank you again!

Meant to say, I did not see anything moving in my hens poop. Also, besides the dark poops, my roo has had some more normal poops as well. Now I have another hen who's been in with a lame leg and she had what appeared to be long pink/reddish thin worms. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that.

Damn, this is not looking good. Urates still yellow and poop dark green. Liver failure? If so, would milk thistle give him a chance? He's drinking a lot of water with electrolytes in it and he is eating and alert, but still on the less interested side of activity.

Attachments

• 20221202_205503.jpg
    20221202_205503.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 6
I'm feeding them a 16% layer feed and once a day I add fermented layer feed with some oatmeal in it. They also get bsf larvae. My flock of 6 hens, 2 roos and 4 guineas get about a cup of scratch thrown out daily along with greens and whatever veg the ducks leave behind.

Damn, this is not looking good. Urates still yellow and poop dark green. Liver failure? If so, would milk thistle give him a chance? He's drinking a lot of water with electrolytes in it and he is eating and alert, but still on the less interested side of activity.
Are you certain those are from your rooster? It is just that those poops could be from liver problems and not eating enough. Is a vet possible? How much is he eating? Will he eat treats such as scrambled egg, tuna, or wet feed?

Yes, he was in a pen alone and these are what I gathered when I cleaned it up before going to bed. He has been eating a 16% layer feed and once a day I add fermented (wet) layer feed with some oatmeal in it. He also get some bsf larvae. He's drinking a lot of water. I just realized the electrolyte makes the water yellow. I'm going to give clear water tomorrow and see if that is it.

Back
Top Bottom