Chicken possibly had brittle eggs, then right eye closure, then lethargy.

Fiber7845

Hatching
Aug 15, 2023
20230815_155426.jpg
First time sick chicken, she is a 2 and a half year old Orpington. First right eye was staying closed and she seemed a bit lethargic. But she tends to be a chill chicken in general. She has always been our biggest girl. We do have one chicken that has been laying super brittle eggs that break in the coup for about a month now. I now suspect it was her. They have a rich diet, oyster shell available, and are free range in a large backyard.

She is now super lethargic and sleeping all the time, but that has only been 2 days of that, but it does seem worse today than yesterday. Her right eye is still closed. She still eats treats, but doesn't seem very interested in the feed anymore, and she looks like she is drinking a whole lot. She is squatting like she wants to poo, but no poo comes. I have not been able to see her poo, but it is possible I have missed it. I have also seen a little bit of bubbling at the corner of her mouth, and noticed today water was dripping from her beak. Considering giving her some anti-biotics in a desperate attempt to save her, but I am worried.

So far I have just tried to treat her eye, I have given her Terramycin on her eye once. No other treatments though. No bleeding or broken bones. The other 8 chickens seem fine. Considering going to the vet, but I am not sure if I am able to afford one.

20230815_155514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom