Chicken Pox Worst Case Ever!

nutcracker_fantasy

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2020
Please help!
this is the worst case of chicken pox ever
Week 2 of the pox! She has to be hand fed daily
She won’t eat, she can’t see;
The pox are not improving or worsening any further! She has received Avicline (sulphur hydrochloride antibiotic)
I’ve been looking for answers everywhere as this doesn’t lol like any pox I’ve seen or researched
if anyone could please provide answers this would be greatly appreciated
Zoom in on photo of her head. Where the problem is!
Thankyou
B923C6DE-4C38-4FEA-B660-408A548DF153.jpeg

It looks like a bad case of fowl pox. Fowl pox is a virus. Mosquitos are the main vector, and antibiotics are ineffective in treating fowl pox. Secondary infections such as a scratch to the eye will require an antibiotic eye ointment. If I were you, I'd put an antibiotic ointment in her eye.

It takes about 4-6 weeks for fowl pox to disappear on its own. Eggs are safe to eat.
The good news is that birds will be immune to that particular strain thereafter.
Look inside her mouth for wet fowl pox lesions. If there are lesions, they might be preventing her from eating. Most likely it's due to the fact she cant see where the feeders and waterers are located. You can tube feed her if you wish. Just use the BYC 'search' button and type 'Tubefeeding.'

Where do I purchase an antibiotic for her eye
or do you know the name of the antibiotic required

she had been hand fed on a soft wet mix since her eyes covered with pox
Moving into week two
Just this afternoon she didn’t want wet food at all
My laundry is splatted with her head shaken choice to not eat or drink (this morning fine)
So I fed her half a pellet... she took these from my fingers handed to her after the first one.. eventually spitting them out (I guess the was saying in full) she was happy to drink)
More than just a drop on the nose.. I held water bowl at an angle for her and she was content
With a belly full... I hope this helps her as today signs of weigh loss. I’ll hand feed her tomorrow morning again.. this could be a long process,

Back
Top Bottom