Chicken predator alert;

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IttyBiddyRedHen, Sep 15, 2011.

1. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Ok, I am new to this. I was outside giving the chicks fresh water...and they all froze. didn't move...didn't peep...didn't blink. Stood like statues for 5 minutes. I know they either heard something, or saw something..but I don't know what. I stood out there with them till they made their "all clear". I didn't see anything, or hear anything.
    Anybody have ideas ?
    Oh, the chicks are all about 4 months old.....pullets and cockeral.

2. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Where do you live and what preditors do you have around your house?

3. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Oh, I am Midlands SC...west of Columbia. I have seen hawks ...alot of hawks fly overhead. Just never saw the chicks react that way. We also have snakes...caught a few ....but have seen nothing else. Dogs just get them agitated.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My 22 week old pullets did the same thing. But my rooster made some kinda funny noise and they froze. Not even so much as a head wiggle. I had a hawk come by the other day and you would have thought the woods was on fire. They can flying and runnin to me and the dog. I mean they were all over us. Kinda funny thinking about it.

5. MANOZ

MANOZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    That My Friends Is What I Call "the Hawk Call" U Will See Them Act That Way Every Time A Hawk Is Over Head.

6. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I thought maybe it was hawks..maybe they actually saw the one flying around that time. I am outside every day...and usually see 4 or 5 flying overhead in circles....I am sure there is plenty of good eats out this way. Also, next door lets hers free range....

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Could have been a plane too! I don't think they always know the difference.

8. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have seen mine do that also with a low flying plane. They heard it before I could even see it.

9. IttyBiddyRedHen

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I was curious, so I stood there for the time it took them to relax and go off alert. Never did see or hear a thing. I even wondered if the neighbor chickens had sounded an alert of some sort, and they heard it.

10. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hawks will make mine freeze... or anything big flying in the sky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by