Chicken predator alert;

IttyBiddyRedHen

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
East coast
Ok, I am new to this. I was outside giving the chicks fresh water...and they all froze. didn't move...didn't peep...didn't blink. Stood like statues for 5 minutes. I know they either heard something, or saw something..but I don't know what. I stood out there with them till they made their "all clear". I didn't see anything, or hear anything.
Anybody have ideas ?
Oh, the chicks are all about 4 months old.....pullets and cockeral.

Oh, I am Midlands SC...west of Columbia. I have seen hawks ...alot of hawks fly overhead. Just never saw the chicks react that way. We also have snakes...caught a few ....but have seen nothing else. Dogs just get them agitated.

My 22 week old pullets did the same thing. But my rooster made some kinda funny noise and they froze. Not even so much as a head wiggle. I had a hawk come by the other day and you would have thought the woods was on fire. They can flying and runnin to me and the dog. I mean they were all over us. Kinda funny thinking about it.

That My Friends Is What I Call "the Hawk Call" U Will See Them Act That Way Every Time A Hawk Is Over Head.

I thought maybe it was hawks..maybe they actually saw the one flying around that time. I am outside every day...and usually see 4 or 5 flying overhead in circles....I am sure there is plenty of good eats out this way. Also, next door lets hers free range....

I was curious, so I stood there for the time it took them to relax and go off alert. Never did see or hear a thing. I even wondered if the neighbor chickens had sounded an alert of some sort, and they heard it.

Back
Top Bottom