Chicken pricing

SmallsChickens

Hatching
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Evansville, Wyoming
Well I could not seem to post in the buy/sell/trade section so here is my question. I purchased 6 barred rock chicks, and 8 Rhode island red chicks in the middle of February of this year. With full expectations of having them for many years, but I decided that I should go back to college and live on campus away from the farm. It costs too much for me to constantly take care of them, with travel expenses, food expenses, and the deer constantly raiding the food supply. So sadly I am looking at probably selling them. They are great layers, I use Purina Layena brand with 13 hens and 1 Rhode island red rooster, I usually get approx 12-20 eggs a day. Of course with winter egg production decreases slightly given the right circumstances. I just don't want to have to put them down. But I would like to sell them. My questions are how much would good large hens go for and a rooster? They are very good looking chickens, the rooster has a broken toe that I have had a hard time trying to fix. He walks fine though. Whats the maximum and minimum I should put them for?

I think it all depends on where you live. I am buying some Barred Rock hens and a RIR Rooster Saturday. We are paying $13 each for the hens and $10 for the rooster. Maybe check your areas Craigslist. Thats what I did and went from there.

Hmm, 13 hens and you are getting 12-20 eggs a day...considering they lay max 1 egg a day each...you need to be honest about what they are laying if you expect a buyer...

I was told in my area that young RIR hens would go for around $15, roosters are usually less and if you get someone to pay $15 for the girls-maybe free roo.

GoldDogsMom I don't mean to be disrespectful, but do not call me a liar. That is one thing I am not. It is not uncommon for either breed to lay 2 eggs a day. There are days a hen wont lay an egg, most days just one egg a day, rarely 2. Look into things before you accuse. It is widely known these breeds can lay 2 eggs a day.

Sorry to have offended you, I do realize that it does happen but rarely and I can't imagine 20 eggs from 13 hens...must be some super chickens...still seems like an exaggeration but so be it...

Lately, the Craigs List here is flooded with birds. The upcoming winter, coupled with feed prices rising is driving all this, I suspect. Frankly, I'm seeing give-a-way pricing on fowl on CL. I'm a bit perturbed by it. Not like anything I've seen in a while. Not talking old spent hens either, POL pullets for 2-3 dollars, stuff like that.

I've a few I'd normally sell this time of year, but with this going on, I'll just keep them. Our egg business is really picking up again, so I'll probably be thankful I didn't sell them.

If life is taking you somewhere new, just go with the flow. You won't get a straight answer to your question here, quite honestly, because your local market will give you the answer when you list them on Craigs or similar. Best wishes for your future endeavors.

Well where I am.....almost everything is selling like hot cakes. Thats why I am having to travel 160 miles round trip to get my chickens Saturday. I would tell you to try for $15 for the hens and maybe like 10 for the rooster. Good luck

I have never heard of 2 eggs especially to have almost all them laying 2 eggs? I have been around chickens all my life and have seen some weird egg situations but have never seen this.. I dont know if maybe it should be looked into? Thinking on the way a chicken works,, if a 2nd egg appeared it would have to be a fart egg or shelless in which case that hen may have some deformities. Just trying to be real here, if someone posted 13 hens for sale claiming they lay 12-20 a day,, A. I would pass that add up or B. if bought they had better lay as claimed or thay person I bought them from would recieve them back. It is so easy to post things but one needs to be careful with the results.

I have never heard of 2 eggs especially to have almost all them laying 2 eggs? I have been around chickens all my life and have seen some weird egg situations but have never seen this.. I dont know if maybe it should be looked into? Thinking on the way a chicken works,, if a 2nd egg appeared it would have to be a fart egg or shelless in which case that hen may have some deformities. Just trying to be real here, if someone posted 13 hens for sale claiming they lay 12-20 a day,, A. I would pass that add up or B. if bought they had better lay as claimed or thay person I bought them from would recieve them back. It is so easy to post things but one needs to be careful with the results.

Sorry but i have to agree too never heard of that either. I would just post them as the great hens and roo they are without stating how much they lay.

Back
Top Bottom