Chicken priorities: height before warmth.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by welsummer4, Dec 4, 2010.

1. welsummer4

welsummer4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Silly chickens. It's 20 degrees out and my girls are roosting on top of their insulated drop-ceiling, directly below two square feet of open vents. I had to lower the roost two feet when I installed the ceiling, but they're certainly not having any of that nonsense. Don't they know I spent an entire Saturday engineering that thing? Hopefully they'll wise up before we dip below-zero.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Brrrr makes me cold just reading it!!!!

[​IMG]

Tell them to get their fluffy selves down to comfort!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have three from this summer's hatch that are still roosting in the birch tree. Two on one limb, one just below them. You'd think they're freezing, esp when it rains and the tree is now leafless. But they're growing nicely, and one of the pullets started laying!

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have a couple who do the same thing

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Air may be stratified in respect to temperature with warmest on top. My birds also like a view when roosting. Escape routes.

6. welsummer4

welsummer4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:That makes sense. Do you think the drop ceiling is even worth it? I was hoping that half an inch of plywood and an inch of styrofoam a foot above there head would help trap their body heat when they roost, but maybe I didn't make it tight enough. I left some gaps in the front and back so that moisture could escape, but maybe it was overkill if the heat is escaping too. Or, maybe they really do prefer height over warmth, or just haven't figured it out yet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Drop ceiling for me is highway for rodents and potential humidity trap. Chickens seem very adept at finding warm spots in their environment. If temperatures become really cold, staying warm will take presedence over height if a conflict does exists.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's instinct, and actually not silly. Chickens are vulnerable while asleep on their roost, so a higher roost is safer than a lower one. Perhaps you better re-engineer your setup, rather than trying to persuade your chickens to override their instincts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by