Chicken problems

bubbee52

Hatching
Jan 31, 2016
I need input here from chicken owners. I personally do not own chickens, but have a backyard full of berry bushes and a huge vegetable garden. My neighbors' chickens are "free range", which means that they spend most of their time in my back yard eating my berries and pecking at my vegetables. I've spoken with my neighbors plenty of times, but they refuse to do anything to prevent this. What to do?? We are zoned agricultural, so my neighbors think that there are no laws that pertain to them. Help!!

I would complain to your animal control officer. If he/she did not provide assistance to fix the problem, I'd start having chicken soup. That being said, you COULD put deer fencing up around your garden and bushes. But, truly, the pet owner is responsible for keeping his pets/livestock on his own property.

I agree, talk to animal control. Maybe round up the chickens that show up on your property and have animal control pick them up? Being zoned ag means your neighbors can HAVE chickens, it does not mean they can let their animals run willy nilly onto other peoples property, especially if they are causing damage. I am zoned ag, I have proper fencing and my animals stay on my place, period, no if's and's or but's. I would never expect my neighbor to put up with my animals running loose on his property whether it be my chickens, dog, goat or whatever.

Quote: That's what I was thinking. There are lots of good recipes online! If you're not comfortable with that, then call animal control or whoever takes care of such things where you live. (We don't have "animal control" where I live - we would have to call the sheriff who would most likely tell us that we have the right to dispose of nuisance animals ourselves.)

ETA - When the neighbors start asking about their missing chickens, I'm not sure I'd tell them that that were invited for supper. I'd probably give some evasive answer like, "Hmm, I guess you never can tell where they might end up when you don't keep them contained on your own property."

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Most of us here are firmly on your side as far as animal owners needing to take responsibility for their own animals. Zoning has nothing to do with it. They couldn't let their cows run wild on your place, why are chickens any different? But, since you've spoken to them and they're refusing to accept responsibility, you have the options outlined above. If you have animal control in your area, contact them. You might try being more persistent with your neighbors. You can try fencing, but chickens are powerful creatures of habit and since they know there's good food available it will be hard to deter them. Plus, you shouldn't have to go through the time and expense of fencing your neighbor's chickens out of your property. You can trap/shoot/otherwise dispose of the birds. Telling your neighbor what happened to their birds is up to you. SSS is a perfectly legitimate option. It sucks for the birds, but that's really not your problem.

I guess if you wanted to take things to the next level, you could look into putting a claim against your neighbor for damages done and value of food crops lost. I'm not sure why their chickens eating your food is any different than when someone's dog kills a chicken, we always advise them to get reimbursed.

What state are you in? I bet you will find there are laws specific to the problem you are having. I will bet at some point you will be able to claim / confine said animals and owner will have to pay you or state to get them back.

I need input here from chicken owners. I personally do not own chickens, but have a backyard full of berry bushes and a huge vegetable garden. My neighbors' chickens are "free range", which means that they spend most of their time in my back yard eating my berries and pecking at my vegetables. I've spoken with my neighbors plenty of times, but they refuse to do anything to prevent this. What to do?? We are zoned agricultural, so my neighbors think that there are no laws that pertain to them. Help!!
That stinks!!
SHM...so glad I don't have idiots for neighbors...or they're too far away to have an effect on me.
Call AC or the cops.

I would 'disappear' them. But, take care, because some neighbors will go mental on you. Since you mentioned it to them before, you could become a target. SSS--that's the way to play it. Something happened to your flock? Did you see that big hawk? And that pack of dogs?

Back
Top Bottom