Chicken protectors

I agree with Sandypaws...set a hav-a-heart trap (my pound has them to borrow) and transport the dog to the pound, the country, etc. My girls free range only when I can be out there with them, and that still does not keep them entirely safe. If I ever see a predator, I will trap them and if I can't do that I will kill them. We must be able to protect our property. Sorry...I just sort of went on a mean binge there...
barnie.gif

Long time lurker here.

I suggest contacting the sheriff or animal control and ask about livestock laws.

I had a neighbor whose dog killed 3 of my game hens. The neighbor was indifferent, "Its only chickens."

I contacted the sheriff and was told if the dog killed or harassed my live stock I had the right to kill it. I told the neighbor this and (during the argument that followed) that I will shoot his dog. We were outside of the city limits.

Caught dog chasing my roo (last bird left). No more dog. Threw its body back into the neighbors yard.

Calling them "livestock" rather than my pet chickens may have may made the difference . This was in Mississippi.

No chickens atm, now living in Florida. Looking for some land. Hopefully the hurricanes wont follow me here.

Old guy way to go, but next time do not throw the dog onto the offenders land, call animal control to retrieve the animal for testing. Granted it is not a head shot. If they don't test they might come out to pick it up. The neighbor is liable to complain you shot the dog on his property after the argument, your word against his.

I had a problem with a dog jumping my fence and then the dog growled at some children. Last straw I got him with my truck as he was running loose on the road. I left him there.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love dogs and we always had a dog, but a killer dog and irresponsible owner calls for appropriate action.
I would warn the neighbour that he is breaking the leash law, possible another law if the dog is a health hazard to others, and advice him that the next time the dog gets on my property I am going to shoot him, period, then I would follow on it with this no hesitation.

Here's my 2-cents worth. I've got a livestock guardian dog, an Akbash (also called Anatolian shepard) which was a rescue I got free 3 mos. ago as a 2 yr. old. He is a gentle giant. I got him to protect the chickens even tho he was not trained for that. It was natural for him to guard "anything" on the property. (llamas, horses, chickens, cats) He just seems to know what is his territory and watches over anything in it. I don't know what I'd do without him as now my problems with raccoons, skunks, coyotes, and recently a bobcat came in, all were detered and chased off. They are not aggressive dogs but mostly use barking and posturing to scare anything away. They will go after anything "hurting" the livestock and then they fight, otherwise it's barking/growling. They smell things (even in their sleep) and come up moc-5, full run and barking. I love mine. There was just a guy on this site selling a batch of 6 pups (anatolian/Pyrnes mix) for $40 ea. If your interested, I'll get you that thread. He sold all in 2 days to chicken people but will be breeding again he said. Also, I would recommend using the electric chicken wire fencing like my friend uses which is portable using fiberglass stakes and it keeps chickens in an area and predators away from them, just move the enclosure around as needed. Sharon

Well, I guess it's a ways away....Kansas. The thread is cute with pictures of the pups, plus further into it you will see the mom & dad to the pups. They are really cute. Mine weighs 110 lbs and LOVES hugs. It's like hugging a white bear! Here is the thread, if I've copied it right. I can't figure out how to work this stuff.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=118583

Quote:
Please do not drop a dog "in the country". We don't need the problem. The dog is far more likely to starve to death, be shot, join a wild pack and be a threat to livestock and people, or suffer pain and death some other way than it is to be given a home. Take it to the pound.

Quote:
Please do not drop a dog "in the country". We don't need the problem. The dog is far more likely to starve to death, be shot, join a wild pack and be a threat to livestock and people, or suffer pain and death some other way than it is to be given a home. Take it to the pound.

It is kinder to just shoot the dog or let the pound euthanize it then to drop it off in the country.

I have had to treat my dogs for an eye infection that they caught from a skinny, sick dog that wondered into our yard one day. I took the stray to the pound and it threw up a bunch of worms. Yuck. Needless to say that this one stray costs me some money in vet bills. Please do not drop a dog in the country.

Back
Top Bottom