Chicken puffed up, tail down, not moving

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Light Brahma, 10 months old, crop was solid when checked, weight feels normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is standing puffed up, tail down, not moving.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
None
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I checked her & didn’t see anything on the outside
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer pellets & water. Crop felt hard. Normally she eats the most of all of my flock, but she is currently standing alone at feeder not eating.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Have not seen her poop yet since I got home. She did lay an egg today, normal size
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Home treatment only, no vet available
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Attached a pic of her stance.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large shed coop, large run, in addition to rangeing in the garden for a few hours daily.
1680124755735.jpeg

It is hard to treat on these symptoms alone, since there are a lot of ailments that can lead them to display these behaviors. I also do not have access to the avian vet, so here is what I usually do.

- Bring them inside in a dog carrier with straw/shavings so I can watch them more closely.
- Check to see if they are egg bound if they are a hen and I don't know when they laid their last egg (yours doesn't sound egg bound, tho)
- I usually put corid in their water, so in case it is cocidiosis, that should clear up.
- I usually add a vitamin boost type of supplement to their water too.
- I watch them, look at their poop, gather information and then try to research online whether a dewormer, antibiotic, specific vitamin, etc. could help. Some folks will tube feed, I usually just try to help them get back to health.

I agree when folks say it isn't good to throw medicines at something that you aren't sure of, but if you can't get to a vet you sometimes have to try something. Maybe someone on here will be able to pick out a symptom better than I can, or you will see something new that someone can hook onto.

No, I don't think so, she might just need a calcium boost. Let's see how she looks tomorrow. Check her crop again first thing tomorrow morning.
Sometimes they do just bounce back. It seems to be 50% of the time. It all depends on what is going on.

I decided to leave her with the flock tonight so I wouldn’t stress her and will see how she is tomorrow. She was up on the roost when I locked up. Will check the poop under her spot tomorrow.

She came out with the rest this morning eating, drinking, and still eating. Tail up and not down. Fingers crossed she acts normal today. Does this look like intestinal lining or blood or tomato, or something else? It was under the roost bar but not where she was. All other poop under the bar looked normal.
1680176869244.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom