Chicken "purr"???

Bubs

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 2, 2008
I have noticed lately that one of my hens will make a sound similar to purring when she is laying an egg. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this, it's very intersting.

Mine make purring/cooing sounds whenever I'm around them...they haven't started laying set so I just assume it's because they are happy.

Last edited:
*Chook used to purr when she was a pullet. Now she softly ba-gwaks like she's either asking or answering questions. I think the purring is like chicken 'baby-talk'.

My RIR rooster used to make a kinda purring cooing noise to call the hens over to whatever edible he just found!
tongue.png

All I can say is that until I had chickens, I had no idea of all the different noises they make! Purring, cooing, growling - you name it. The purr is definitely nice to hear though. My SLW purrs as she roosts on my legs. It's incredibly sweet.

I have some OEG and MG roosters that do that purr thing, all at the same time. Sometimes the other chickens will join in. I don't know what it means, but it makes me chuckle when I look around and they are all making that purring sound.

lol.png

Mine make two or three different sounds that could be described that way. But the nicest is the sound my cockerel makes to encourage the pullets to lay. He gets into the nest with them and coos/purrs to them. It's a really nice sound. It's a little weird to go gather the eggs, though, and there's a big red comb and striped tail in the nest box--what the?

When mine purr I'm pretty sure they're saying, "Hey, that wouldn't happen to be spaghetti you're eating out of that bowl right there, would it?"
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom