Chicken Questions????

MrCluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
I have a couple questions about chickens. What tipes of plants do chickens like best
(sort of like catnip except for chickens)?Can two or more roosters be in the same coop
without fighting?In your opinion what tipe of chicken is the best?In your opinion how many chickens are to many?
idunno.gif

I have a couple questions about chickens. What tipes of plants do chickens like best
(sort of like catnip except for chickens)?Can two or more roosters be in the same coop
without fighting?In your opinion what tipe of chicken is the best?In your opinion how many chickens are to many?
idunno.gif

What types of plants do chickens like best: I don't know any kind of "chickennip", but there are plenty of plants my chickens ADORE! Pumpkins, watermelon, grass, leaves, lettuce, tomatoes, and pretty much anything humans like.

Can two or more roosters be in the same coop without fighting? Sure! You just need to have enough hens. I've heard about 8 hens per roo, but I once did 3 roosters (2 Silkies, 1 Rhode Island Red) with only 5 hens. I don't recommend it, though, they were only 4-5 months old a the time.

In my opinion how many chickens are too many? To me there is no answer! I could keep counting FOREVER! You can't have too many chickens, unless you don't have enough space, feed, and time. If you get a hen for each person in your family (2 hens per person if you eat eggs and use them a lot) you should get about the right amount. If you have under a dozen chickens, you can get to know your chickens a lot better and they probably will be friendlier - As long as you spend time with them.

Last edited:
But still what type of chicken would probably be the best at brooding (besides silkies).

Thats a hard question to answer, and it really depends on the hen. A lot of people say Silkies and Cochins are really good mothers, yet whenever mine tried to hatch a clutch of eggs they ended up killing the chicks. Both breeds I found here horrible mothers. The only hen I have who successfully raised a clutch of eggs was a Silver Sebright, and they aren't even supposed to be good mothers. OEGs I've also found to be decent.

Are you raising for eggs? meat? pets? show birds?

What kind of chicken really depends on what you want from them.

I can answer a few of these, but not others.

For eggs I suggest these breeds (there are others that are good too, these are just my suggestions):

Buff Orpingtons - these girls are very easy going, docile, and quiet. They lay well, are good with people and easy to handle. They are not #1 on the breeds list by accident. There are others who lay better, but overall these are some of the easiest chickens to keep. They handle the cold really well.

Black Austrolorps - These are traditionally better layers then the Orps, and also have a very calm and easy going personality. Ive not owned them, though they are on my short list of future birds to own, I couldnt find any locally when I was starting my flock, so maybe next time around, so can only tell you what Ive read about them and others experiences. Coming in at #3 on the breed list here, you cant go wrong.

Production Reds (RIR) - I prefer the heritage Rhode Islands myself over the production reds, because they are beautiful birds with a ton of personality, however they dont lay as well as the productions, though they still lay pretty well. Production Reds are Rhode Island that have been bred with other layers (leghorn I think?) so that they are egg making machines. They start laying earlier then most breeds but burn out rather quick (2 years).

Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers - If you like colorful eggs and unique looking chickens who are still great layers and easy going, these birds are great. They are easy to breed, easy to handle and attractive birds.

For looks I really like the following breeds:

Polish - they have the poofy hat heads

Partridge Rocks - their patterned feathers are beautiful

Sicilian Buttercups - Fantastic looking birds

Lavender Orpingtons - for their color

Lots of people like Silkies, I'm not on the silkie band wagon, but I would be remiss if i didnt list them. :)

Last edited:
For broody most bantam breeds broody well, both japanese hens that I have had have gone broody at least once, cochins and frizzles are also, frequent brooders. If for show I would recomend old english game, modern game, sibrights, or japanese. As far as egg laying I recommend Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Easter Eggers.

My Australorpe tends to go broody, yet my Buff Orp doesn't, and I think (if we had roos) she would be a great mother. If you're wanting chicks, I recommend Buff Orpingtons. I recommend Australorps and Sumatras for shows. Australorps because of their green sheen to their feathers and their fan-tail tail feathers, Sumatras because their tail feathers are long and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom