Chicken randomly sleeping in nest box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aemore24, Apr 7, 2016.

1. aemore24

aemore24 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Ok, so I went out to check for eggs around 630 tonight. One of my girls was in a nest box, nothing unusal. So I went out again at 10 pm to gather up any last eggs for the day and she's still in there? I don't have a problem with tgem trying to sleep in best boxes. I nudged her a bit to see if there was anything under her and she just looked at me like, what? :p should I be concerned???? I'm still new to chickens so just looking for your thoughts. Thanks in advance :)

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Is it possible that she's broody? That's what my first thought would be :)

3. aemore24

aemore24 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    Maybe? That crossed my mind as well. She's out and about this morning though, so who knows? Maybe thategg just took an extra long time? It was just weird that when I nudged her, she didn't budge. My boyfriend says I worries about these girls like a new mom worries about her babie, lol.

4. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Mine do that from time to time. Sometimes I think it's just that they didn't think they had room to get where they wanted to be on the roost. I don't like them to routinely sleep in the nest boxes but I don't mind once in awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by