Chicken rant

There are 5 hens total our coop is small 12 square feet. We are looking into converting a shed into a coop before winter. We also have a rooster, but he is separate from the hens right now. Though he talks to them and can interact with them through the run fence, just can’t touch. The hens are getting along better except for the cocci. They have been on Corid again 1.75 teaspoons per gallon for three days. Still some runny poops and intestinal lining. I’ve been spot cleaning the coop everyday and laying down Cyprus mulch over the stools in the run area. Sorry for the delayed response. It seems every time they come off corid everyone gets cocci again. I’m hoping cleaning the coop and run daily will help.
Are they locked in the coop at night or do they have access to the run at night? You are correct that the coop is small. With 5 hens in there you want 20sqft (or more). It is very likely you have hens sleeping/pooping in the nest box due to space. Your run looks awesome.

I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble. Animal husbandry can be tricky. We did have egg eaters for a while but not Until they were over 18 months old.

Are they locked in the coop at night or do they have access to the run at night? You are correct that the coop is small. With 5 hens in there you want 20sqft (or more). It is very likely you have hens sleeping/pooping in the nest box due to space. Your run looks awesome.

I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble. Animal husbandry can be tricky. We did have egg eaters for a while but not Until they were over 18 months old.
No one has been eating the eggs.
Yes, that's quite small.

I hope you can manage the shed because spreading the manure over more area might help with the recurrent cocci problem.
It will take some time to set up but it’s 50 square feet so once we get it up and running they will have plenty of space. In the mean time I’m spot cleaning the coop once a day.

Back
Top Bottom