Chicken Recommendations

TheToalHouse

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Hi Fellow Chicken Coopers,

I am a first time Chicken Cooper looking to have a backyard coop. After hours of research, the following are our favorites.

- Golden Laced Wyandotte
- White Leghorn
- Silkie
- Buff Orpington
- Barred Plymouth Rock
- Blue Lace Wyandotte

They are all so beautiful, making my decision very hard. The sole purpose for our coop is egg production. We have two children whom we want to build a loving, friendly and nurturing relationship with our chickens. I would love some feedback on our chicken picks.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Welcome to BYC.
Rocks and leghorns are excellent layers.
Silkie..not so much.

My personal thoughts on hens with children....

Every wyandotte I ever had was mean as all get out.
Leghorns are rather skittish but California whites lay just as well and are friendly.

I can recommend Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorp, dark Brahma, and speckled sussex.
They are all good layers and friendly. The Brahma do not lay as much but mine are at 4 a week.

Hi Fellow Chicken Coopers,

I am a first time Chicken Cooper looking to have a backyard coop. After hours of research, the following are our favorites.

- Golden Laced Wyandotte
- White Leghorn
- Silkie
- Buff Orpington
- Barred Plymouth Rock
- Blue Lace Wyandotte

They are all so beautiful, making my decision very hard. The sole purpose for our coop is egg production. We have two children whom we want to build a loving, friendly and nurturing relationship with our chickens. I would love some feedback on our chicken picks.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

If you are doing for as many eating eggs as you can handle I recommend the White Leghorn, they are prolific egg layers. Roosters are known for being aggressive. But, hens, just keep pushing out the eggs. These are the one's used by industrial egg laying companies to produce those white eggs you find in the grocery stores.

:welcome

Of the breeds you've listed, I've only had the Barred Plymouth Rock. They were pretty good layers but mine weren't terribly interested in interacting with me. I agree with the other greeters regarding the Leghorns as being impressive layers.

Silkies may be cute pets but I wouldn't rely on them for much in the egg laying department. Buff Orps are known for being very broody so be prepared to deal with that if you go with them.

You might want to spend some time in the Review area of BYC, looking at other member's reviews of the breeds you are interested in. You could check in with other members in your state too, to see if what you like is a good match for your climate.

Best of luck to you!

Silkies are kids favorites because they are generally docile and put up with being carried around or pushed in a baby doll stroller, etc. They don't lay well but, they do go broody often - which means they sit on fertile eggs and hatch out chicks. They tend to be excellent mothers. To have fertile eggs you need a rooster.

You can check them out on the "Silkie thread," and also breed reviews.

Black Australorps are known to be very good layers, I have heard they are also a docile breed.

Back
Top Bottom