Chicken red eye, keeps closing!!

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Hi

My one hen has a red eye that she keeps closing. It is not swollen and their is no sign of disease. She was perfectly this moring and is still pretty healthy except for this eye. She eats, drinks, acts up and runs around like normal. My hens have been bickering lately and pecking at each others eyes. I am almost 100% that someone got her eye.

I really feel for her. My eye has been hurt twice this Summer. The first time, ironically, is when she bit me in the eye. (Now she knows how it feels.)

Eyes can easily get infected. Does anyone know how I can keep it clean? Is it okay to use visine or any over the counter eye cleaner?

Thank You
DB

visine is for people, not chickens. no!

there is ointment for the eye, terramyacin eye salve. (i believe, double check)

it is available at most TSC, Big Acres and other feed and supply type stores.

many times, the eye swelling is a pre-cursor symptom for illnesses such as coryza, so really watch the chicken. no matter what, it should be separated from the flock.

out of curiosity, is it the left eye?

No, it is the right eye. It isn't swollen at all. The eye is red like it has been scratched, bit or somehow irritated. Here other eye is perfectly fine. Everything else seems okay. It was all of a sudden. Her eye was fine. She went around the corner to the other side of the house with the other hens and about a half hour later it was red. That is why I think it was bit or scratched.

I do plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow. I just want something to keep it clean and maybe relieve some of her pain tonight.

DB

flush it with clean water only. gently pat dry. i hope that you can get a good result tomorrow.
smile.png
maybe it is a scratched cornea or something.

was wondering about the left or right because for some odd reason, it seems most illnesses start with the left eye. (not always, but it seems mostly to crop up in the left eye first for some reason.)

I looked at her eye much closer. It is bloodshot with a rectangular red spot on the bottom. She probably has a scratched cornea. I doubt it will get better by tomorrow. From what I understand, they always end up with an infection. Hopefully, the vet will be able to throughly clean it out and give her something tomorrow.

What is more disturbing is that my girls are not so sweet anymore. I was told this happens in the Fall due to molting and breeding season.

DB

Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with this process for humans. About 4 months ago she bit me in the eye. Boy, did it hurt! It was red and swollen and I couldn't focus it for almost 5 days. I hate to say that this is poetic justice. But...

This better be one time only. I don't want my hens pocking out each others eyes or an other pets. Why do they always go for the eyes? My cat has tried scratch me in the eye a few times. We had a dog that we had to take to the vet all the time for the same reason. She liked to break up cat fights
roll.png

Thank You
DB

Flush with normal saline, or Real Tears, eye drops. Warm compress. Antibiotic topical ointment right in the eye. This will provide some pain relief, lubricate the area and the ointment will help with any potential infection.

Save you a vet bill.
wink.png

Well, it now has some swelling. So, I know it is infected. She woke up and did eat some food and drank water. I am still going to take her into the vet. I even had to cancel a substitute teaching assisgnment for this. Sigh! I really hope I don't get in trouble at work. But, I do consider this an emergency.

Thanks

DB

Thanks for all the help!!!

I feel somewhat embarassed because it all came to not. When I woke up and checked on her this morning she seemed perfectly fine. She went to the vet today and nothing. He throughly looked her over and gave her a clean bill of health. He did see a liitle mark right underneath her eye that may have caused the redness and swelling yesterday. But, her eye and the rest of her organs were perfect.

I don't know if chickens know how to fake illness to get attention. It maybe possible.

OOOHHHH!!! I feel like an idiot. I even canceled a job because I thought she was in dire need of help. I really did! Her eye was red and she slept more then normal.

And how do I punish her? I take her to the vaccum cleaner store and Petsmart were everyone petted and gave her treats. When I got in the car she look at me in a disappointed way as if to say "We are going home now??". What a brat!

Well, at least I know she is healthy.

DB

Back
Top Bottom