Chicken regret?

Jul 16, 2018
I'd love it if anyone could offer some advice.
I live in a city, in a row of terraced houses and have six hens at the back of the garden.
Recently I found out my neighbour had complained to the two others whose houses surround my garden that my chickens were smelling. Long story short I spoke with both these neighbours who had no problems and said this was a concern said neighbour had Before the chickens arrived and they'd told him to chill out and wait to see if they caused a problem once id had them a while.

Any way. My six hens are Loud. Now I know this is OK during the day but it doesn't stop me worrying about complaints.
I'm now waking up at 5 am almost every morning worrying that they'll be up early causing a noise.
I'm starting to find their noise annoying now (but this could be caused by anxiety) and to be honest I don't know what to do.
I've only had them for 4 months and I love them but I'm worried they are more trouble than they're worth.

Can anyone offer any advice? No one I know owns chickens so they just say don't you dare get rid of them and let your neighbour win! This doesn't help me come to any decision about what to do so opinions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Does the neighbor who complained live next door to you or behind you?
Are you allowed to legally keep chickens where you live?
To address the potential smell plant fragrant plants like lilac and rose bushes near the coop or near the problem neighbor’s property line. To address the noise complaint you can have a privacy fence built, plant a privacy hedge, install a water feature or wind chime, or even plant plants that make some noise when the wind blows slightly.
Also maybe give the neighbors who defended you some fresh eggs as a sign of gratitude.
Best of luck. :frow

Thank you for your reply
To date I have spent £1500 on a new fence to which I have attached (on my side, by the coop) a living wall of herbs.
The neighbour lives next door (at the side).
Problem is I moved in in May, got the chickens in July and don't think I've made a great impression to be honest!

I would give it some time, for everyone including you to get used to the noise. Also, keeping the hens in total darkness until a more reasonable hour of the morning should keep them quiet, but, egg production will suffer badly for it. You might want to consider seeking professional help for yourself, though, if this neighbor is causing you this much distress without even saying anything to you. I doubt getting rid of the chickens is going to fix that sort of anxiety, as much as I hate to say it.

Thank you. Yes I was very upset, it was a completely different neighbour who tipped me off and they've never complained directly to me. So I'm always afraid things are being said behind my back and I don't get to find out (or be able to do anything about) any complaints.

You are the only one who can decide if you feel it’s worth the trouble or not to keep them. I appreciate that you are wanting to be considerate of all your neighbors (there’s not enough of that in the world these days).

My thinking is, if their noise is bothering you, and you don’t think you want them anymore, give them up. There is nothing wrong with that. If your friends are so adamant about you keeping them, offer the chickens to them! (I bet no one takes you up on it.)

Something else to think about would be giving up only 2 or 3 of them. At least at first. If you find the noise reduced enough that you’re comfortable, and are truly enjoying keeping the rest of them, then keep them. If you’re still anxious about it, give the rest up, too.

Thank you. Yes I was very upset, it was a completely different neighbour who tipped me off and they've never complained directly to me. So I'm always afraid things are being said behind my back and I don't get to find out (or be able to do anything about) any complaints.
Life is about making your self happy, not your neighbors. While I agree that It's important to try and be a good neighbor, your life shouldn't revolve around what your neighbors may think of you. Why do you care so much about what this one cranky neighbor thinks or says? The rest of your neighbors seem to be fine with the chickens... if the neighbor does complain, THEN deal with the problem. All this worrying is so unnecessary.

It's possible yours make so much noise for a reason-- they could be bored, a high energy breed, or there could be one that is just a chatterbox and she is encouraging the others!
If you evaluate your flock, you might figure out WHY they squawk so much!

Back
Top Bottom