Chicken rehab after dog attack!

I haven't yet figured out how this forum works. I see some people have pictures to the left, and a signature block with a listing of all their critters. I would like to do something like that.

Can someone tell me how that is done?

okay, I think I might have figured out the avatar and signature thing. I will see when I post this.

Hi. I saw your post and needed almost the same advice you were asking about except I have a duck. I was out in our duck pen a few days ago feeding them and went out for a second to get the garden hose and my little ducky fell from waist level and appeared to have fallen on his breast plate. It is eating and drinking but cannot walk. It's been about 3 days now. I'm holding him up when he eats but if I wasn't holding onto him he would just fall over. It's like he has no balance at all. Did your chicken ever start walking again? I'm wondering the exact same thing if he broke a bone in his back or chest and will it get better! I love my ducky and I want him to walk again. He seems to be a good sport and doesn't seem to be in any pain. His feet work and his legs work it's just something in between. Everyday he seems to be getting better with more energy. I love him and wondering if he'll ever get back to doing things on his own?
hmm.png

I'm sorry to hear about your ducky. Reba (my chicken) has made progress, but is not really walking. It is still appears painful to put her weight one on of her legs.

This morning, I put a splint on that leg. She really hates that. She is eating and drinking fine, but still can't walk, she hops and flaps furiously! I have seen her start to put weight on it, so I let her outside for a while yesterday to visit with her chicken friends. Today, she seemed like it hurt more than the day before. Maybe she did too much yesterday. So today is a day of rest! There does seem to be a broken bone in her back by her pelvis, as something is sticking out more on one side than the other. I'm still holding out faith from everything that I have read that she will make a full recovery. I think it is just going to take time. I would say that is probably the same for your duck.

I hope she starts feeling like walking soon!

Chris

Well, since I last wrote about "Reba", she had all but completely healed (from the neighbor's dog attach), but still limps badly. It's been almost 3 months. I think it is more nerve damage than actual pain. She just doesn't seem to want to put weight on the one leg. Otherwise she does great.

I have tried several times to put her back out with the flock, but the pick on her to the point of making her back bleed. I bring her back in the house to live in her dog crate. I keep thinking that the other chickens will eventually accept her, but she keeps getting abused. I just brought her back in the house. I don't know what to do!

I don't want to keep a chicken in my house for the rest of her life, not only for my sake, but I don't think it is a very good life for her either!

Will these other hens accept her one day, or will they eventually just kill her? It doesn't seem like all of them attack her, but at least two of the six go right after her!

PLease help!

Getting the flock to accept her could be a challenge. One way to do it is to put the crate with her in it, into the coop if possible. That way her old flock can see her, but not get to her. Some others have posted that they sneak a new one into the coop in the dark and put her on the roost. In the moring they all wake up friends. I have also read where this doesn't work at all. I'm currently trying to get my 5 ladies to accept 7 new girls. It's not going as well as I would like but not too badly either , no blood anyway. So I'm hoping others that have more experience will post in with pointers for both of us! Good luck to you!

Quote:
HI KImberly,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the "overnight thing". If fact, She was out there all night last night. She can't roost (due to her one leg not working properly), so she stayed in one of the nest boxes all night. It was this morning when she got down with the rest that they got her again.

I think I will try your other suggestion of putting the cage out there once the weather warms up here a little!

Thanks,
Chris

Also you might try removing the ones that are being aggressive for a few days and see if it changes when you put them back. Also if she is limping they are probably looking at her as the weaker one and could be another reason they are getting at her.

I think you are right Mis Lydia about the others thinking of her as the "weak link". She may never be able to go back out with them. I'm in the process now of ordering a chicken diaper so she can walk around the house during cold weather.

I have a hen who is nearly blind. I have a low roost that is hers alone. She goes to it every night by herself and the others leave her alone. She has a couple of BFF's she hangs out with during the day. Occasionally a juvenile will join her on the handicap roost for a couple of nights until it gets brave enough to move up. She is ok with that.

34566_goodmama3-6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom