Chicken related inventions......Id like to see them!

I made an oyster shell feeder this past weekend. I used a 14 in piece of sewer pipe that I attached to an old skillet that we had laying around the yard. Ill post a pic this weekend.

I like your coop! A PVC feeder would work well for you. You could attach it to the outside and stick the end through the wire. You might need to enlarge one hole in your wire panels to fit it.

Have you seen the PVC feeders? Speckledhen just made one for her coop. It sure would make filling your feeders a lot easier.

I agree about the PVC feeder. We just made one a couple days ago to maximize space in the Blue Orpington's coop.
DCP_1149.jpg

Those pvc feeders are cool! I have mine hanging up near the door of my coop. As my chickens got older they started to kick straw and poop in the feeder and waterer. So hanging them up made it a heck alot easier now!
The feeder that I bought didnt have a cover for the top of it so I decided to use an old hubcap from a '49 chevy truck! LOL! The diameter was perfect! Ill post a pic this weekend. I work nights so I dont have time to post them till then.

Speckledhen- does this style limit the amount of food the chickens knock out of the feeder?
I currently use a 5 gal bucket screwed to a somewhat larger flower pot tray. It looks like a regular feeder (only homemade). The girls are tossed food all over the ground. Not only am I wasting at least 1/3rd of a bag of crumble each time, but it makes a huge, gooey, stinky mess on the ground when it rains. The coop annex has a shed the feeder can live under, but I'd just as soon keep the kids from tossing food everywhere!

Is your trough a piece of PVC cut in half or did you slice less than that off so the sides curve back up a little over the food?

Thanks!

Citygirl,
Try hanging your feeders! Mine were kicking straw in mine too. Hanging them up solved that problem! Also had the same with the waterers.

Hmmm... I have the feeder sitting on bricks. Will it work to elevate it even higher? I have a mix of standards and banties. Do I just split the difference?
The waterer is hanging up and that has completely helped with the shavings and gunk getting tossed in. It still gets dirty. Just not as fast.

I have the PVC to make a feeder like Speckleds. I want to do one for the coop annex, but I'm not sure the best way to cut the top out. I was hoping if I angled the top edges up it would keep the little snots from tossing food everywhere. I'm also switching over to pellets as soon as we get a little bigger.

I made a chicken harness. I'm still breaking it to them (ie, they back up every time they're supposed to go forward) but eventually I will triumph and add on a chicken cart to that harness! Then they can help me with chicken chores!

Hey, why are you guys all laughing at me? I'll get it... eventually...

Back
Top Bottom