Chicken Rescue, but is it?

Orit

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
A friend called informing me that he found a lone young chicken next to his building. As he lives hear the Italian Market, he was thinking that a chicken got away from one of the butcher shops. I was worried that it wouldn't make it through the night (predators) so I said I would rescue it. The bird was just delivered and we've got her all settled in a crate with water and layer pellets. She's alert but staying very still. However, she is definitely NOT a chicken!
hu.gif
. Any thoughts on what kind of bird I have just rescued? Here's a photo. I'll take more tomorrow when it's light out. I have no idea what I'm dealing with here so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Orit! Glad to hear that it's been ID'd. How fascinating! It allowed your friend to pick it up, how is it behaving for you? Is it tame? Have your hens seen it?

It did flap a bit but went into a box and stayed very still until it got to my house. It flapped a bit when we put it in the crate that I set up INSIDE our chicken coop (to protect it from the elements). I put out water and layer pellet, although now I do need to do some chukar research because this may not be what it needs. It was alert but not moving for a long time in the crate. Just checked on it now as it's almost dark, and it's has found the corner of the crate and seems to have snuggled in for the night. This is going to be an adventure!

Back
Top Bottom