Chicken Rescue, but is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Orit, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    A friend called informing me that he found a lone young chicken next to his building. As he lives hear the Italian Market, he was thinking that a chicken got away from one of the butcher shops. I was worried that it wouldn't make it through the night (predators) so I said I would rescue it. The bird was just delivered and we've got her all settled in a crate with water and layer pellets. She's alert but staying very still. However, she is definitely NOT a chicken! [​IMG]. Any thoughts on what kind of bird I have just rescued? Here's a photo. I'll take more tomorrow when it's light out. I have no idea what I'm dealing with here so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That appears to be a Chukar.

3. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Goodness! Any ideas on what I should do???

4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Hi Orit! Glad to hear that it's been ID'd. How fascinating! It allowed your friend to pick it up, how is it behaving for you? Is it tame? Have your hens seen it?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Start raising Chukars?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what a beautiful little bird. Put Chukars in the search box and see what pops up. Maybe they have another common name

7. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    It did flap a bit but went into a box and stayed very still until it got to my house. It flapped a bit when we put it in the crate that I set up INSIDE our chicken coop (to protect it from the elements). I put out water and layer pellet, although now I do need to do some chukar research because this may not be what it needs. It was alert but not moving for a long time in the crate. Just checked on it now as it's almost dark, and it's has found the corner of the crate and seems to have snuggled in for the night. This is going to be an adventure!

8. Orit

Orit Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Great idea!

9. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Looks like a Red Legged Partridge which is called a Chukar as well. They are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by