1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Rescue

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErikaSmit, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Are there any known places to go for chicken rescue in the Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio area? I would love to rescue a few.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    i would love to rescue some too.
    I am looking for battery hens.
    I have contacted TONS!! of animal rescues, egg industrys there no help.
    you will have a better chance going to a egg farm and asking if you can buy a few of there spent hens. there very cheep, and they may just give them to you.

sorry I got carried away. were you looking for Battery hens? [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Have you contacted your local ASPCA/Shelter to let them know you are able to house chickens and are available to take some in?

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Ditto FLChicken. SPCAs, Humane Societies, Animal Control agencies usually get chickens. In our area you can rescue many very nice chickens of different breeds from all of these agencies.

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:If you are talking Battery hens (you mentioned them in the last question: so I'll assume so):

Battery hens don't need 'rescuing.' Once they are through laying the first round of eggs. They are sold and processed into dog and cat food (mainly). Thus, the selling to those companies is also part of the profit margin for the farmer.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Correct on the battery hens and most are sold when spent for processing and mostly non human (in US anyway)

Many small flock owners rotate at around 2 to 3 years of age and often give older hens away as opposed to making chicken and dumplings out of them.

We give our older girls away sometimes as well as Roos that are "special" if we can find them a home otherwise they are eaten.

I put an add on Craig's list for "free hens" and most are taken within a few days.

7. samboni95

samboni95 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    But isn't a battery hen a hen that is kept in cage not much bigger than the hen? I would say they definitely need rescued.

8. timothybrenn

timothybrenn New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Hi Erika,

Tim from Crete, IL here. Don't know if you are still looking for rescue chickens, but I have a friend in the city who is looking for a loving home for an "accidental" rooster. He is a Copper Moran.

9. debilee4

debilee4 New Egg

May 30, 2015
    I know this thread is old, but I have a 7 month Silkie Hen that needs a home, separate from other chickens. My bantam rooster attacked her and pecked her head almost to the point of death. I ran in and grabbed her and have been nursing her back to health. She is now eating and drinking, but one eye is blind and I think she has some brain damage. I had the rooster put down.If anyone could give her a special home, it would be much appreciated. We live in Northwest Ohio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by